FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By JoshDoe
Hi everyone. So I have some questions regarding feeding.

I'm hoping to get 1 kind of food that's good for pitchers, sundews, and flytraps. Ideally a good amount for under 20$. Is live better than dried? Does anyone know anything about the grow your own flightless fruitfly kits, are they worth it?

I also want to know how big sundews need to be before you could give them food. I have many seedlings that are tiny but have their sticky arms developing. So I'm wondering if some dried meal worm pieces or something similar would help them. Picture is my largest sundew seedling. The others are mostly much smaller. Is there a way to feed my nepthene without the pitchers developing? I asked the original grower when the nepthene was sewn. Apparently 8/18/2018 that seems like a long time to full pitcher.
Attachments:
20200225_080949.jpg
20200225_080949.jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 3156 times
20200225_080740.jpg
20200225_080740.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 3156 times
By sanguinearocks101
Freeze-dried bloodworms work well. I think it would be hard to feed plants flightless fruit flies as they are very small. I would feed your sundew tiny pieces of bloodworms as soon as you can. I know you can use diluted Maxsea to help them but I am unsure of the ratio.
By chomato
I feed freeze dried bloodworms to my burmannii, since it loves to eat. As for flytraps, live is always better. I've heard that even if the trap hairs are triggered the first time, shutting the trap, if the hairs aren't stimulated some more after shutting, the trap will open again.

Why not have your flytraps outdoors?
By jpappy789
I use maxsea for everything because I'm too lazy to target feed everything. But with one smaller sundew, you may want to be a bit more careful. For the Nep, you can probably foliar feed until the pitchers develop and then decide what to do from there.

Mine is 1/4 tsp per gallon (the Cali Carnivores recommended dose) but I know people who go up to 1/2 or a full tsp.
By omnipercp15
chomato wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:25 pm I feed freeze dried bloodworms to my burmannii, since it loves to eat. As for flytraps, live is always better. I've heard that even if the trap hairs are triggered the first time, shutting the trap, if the hairs aren't stimulated some more after shutting, the trap will open again.

Why not have your flytraps outdoors?
One solution I've seen for this is to carefully massage the leaf for about 1 minute after the trap closes. This will stimulate the leaf to keep closed and being the digestion process.

I've not tried it with dried bloodworms but I did try it with recently dead insects (eg, maybe I squeezed it too hard with the tweezers) and it worked just fine to make the trap stay closed on the insect. So the dried bloodworms would be fed in a similar way.
worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!