FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Cello
so i live in Indonesia. that mean we only have 2 season its dry (no rain for half a year) and rain(EVERYDAYY) season, i heard pinguicula do turn like succulent and dormant in spesific season. do thoose two life cycle will happend in order or it might just gonna happend randomly in my country?
(this might question might sound really stupid but REALLY i have no idea :D )
By jpappy789
Yes, most Mexican Pinguicula species go through a carnivorous phase during their wet season and a more succulent-like phase during the dry season. Additionally, some species can stay carnivorous the entire year depending on how they're grown.

I'm of the opinion that you let the plan decide whether it wants to go into it's succulent phase or not and adjust watering accordingly. And for the most part, it's triggered more so by changes in photoperiod, so it may not happen if you're in the tropics with more or less constant hours of daylight. However, I grow mine under constant 14 hours of artificial light and I still see a good chunk of my collection go into succulent phase (unclear if they're taking cues from the window light).
By Cello
ty somuch and oops i mean "carnivorous and succulent", not "succulent and dormant" but. unfortunately, in my country there is not much species and hybrid sold here, they only sell esseriana, gigantea, primuliflora, aphrodite, x weser and, x sethos, can you like recomend one of them XD (except esseriana cuz i already wanted to buy that one)
Last edited by Cello on Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Cello
jeff wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:15 am try with a P.emarginata or with a hybrid like P.X'Tina' or P.X'Sethos' it's a good way to know how they react ;)
x sethos is very hilarious, both of his parents change dramatically in succulent phase :lol:
By jpappy789
Cello wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:29 pm ty somuch and oops i mean "carnivorous and succulent", not "succulent and dormant" but. unfortunately, in my country there is not much species and hybrid sold here, they only sell esseriana, gigantea, primuliflora, aphrodite, x weser and, x sethos, can you like recomend one of them XD (except esseriana cuz i already wanted to buy that one)
All of these are pretty easy to grow species/hybrids so its up to you which you'd like to try. However just so you know, P. primuliflora is actually from the southeastern US and has different growing conditions than the Mexican pings. It's more of a temperate "boggy" plant similar to Sarracenia and Drosera from the area and has a true winter dormancy period.
Perlite from Ebay

yeah it does look realllly sketchy on their websit[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!