FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By DTDream18
I'm an avid aquarist and I breed certain types of dwarf Cichlids to sell to some of the local shops. One of the tricks of the trade to encourage spawning is to add tannic water to the breeding tanks.

I produce this water by boiling bags of sphagnum peat until the water turns a dark coffee color. Then I cool it and store it for use.

It occurred to me that I could produce an acidic and tannic water using distilled water also.

Has anybody ever tried using tannic acidic water to water their VFTs ? I'm curious as to if there would be any benefits to this ?
By Huntsmanshorn
I have used something similar that was suggested on another forum. The claim was that the acidity and what-not in the water would improve the health of the plants and increase leaf coloration. Frankly, I saw no difference in my plants, but YMMV.
By steve booth
Probably less benefit than planting the plant in the sphagnum peat that you are using to make the water. It will add short term acidity to the pot but you can achieve a similar outcome by lanting in pure sphagnum.

Cheers
Steve

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!