FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By JoaoBM
Hi.

I'm just feeling complete lost with finding the correct pesticide.

My CPs were attacked some months ago by what seemed to be spider mites. After taking care of them with some neem oil and repotting, they were alright. Some weeks ago they caught some aphids which I removed manually.
Now one of them not only had tons of webs which could mean spider mites again but also something very small, white and furry attached to the base of the plant. Once removed, it was red underneath.

I'm feeling overwhelmed with all of this and wanted to ask for help to find the best pesticide that can deal with the most amount of insects/mites.
The problem is I live in Europe and 99% of the pesticides/miticides fellow CP growers recommend do not ship here but rather US-only.

For example, would Martin's Surrender Fire Ant Killer with Acephate work well as a systemic pesticide?

Would be extremely appreciated if you could link me some reliable pesticides that can ship to Europe that could deal with these plagues.

Thank you.
By StaatS+17+
Orthene products are very effective systematically
Bayer Advanced 3-n-1 Insect, Disease & Mite Control

Read info from these sites
https://carnivorousplantnursery.com/blo ... ous-plants
https://www.californiacarnivores.com/ap ... pesticides
https://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow/pests
By JoaoBM
StaatS+17+ wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:56 pm Orthene products are very effective systematically
Bayer Advanced 3-n-1 Insect, Disease & Mite Control

Read info from these sites
https://carnivorousplantnursery.com/blo ... ous-plants
https://www.californiacarnivores.com/ap ... pesticides
https://www.carnivorousplants.org/grow/pests
Do you know if there are any sellers that could ship it to EU?
I really appreciate your reply.
By Matt
The Ortho 3-in-1 is probably the better choice of those two, as it is made for small plants and vegetables. The other one, BioAdvanced, is for trees, roses, and shrubs. Honestly, both would probably work just fine, but I've used neither.

What insects are you trying to treat? Are you sure it is mites? If so, they typically require a dedicated miticide to eradicate. I'm not sure what's available in Europe.
JoaoBM wrote:For example, would Martin's Surrender Fire Ant Killer with Acephate work well as a systemic pesticide?
That's similar to what we use (Acephate 75) and it is quite effective on all pests but does not completely get rid of mites. It will slow them down a lot, but it doesn't seem to completely kill them.
By JoaoBM
I think i can exclude mites as of now. I am currently abroad and my boyfriend is the one taking care of them for now and sends me updates. He told me about a massive web in my sarracenia purpurea and when video chatting, I assumed it was mites. Apparently, it was just a little spider making her home inside one of the sarracenia mouths. I was immediatly relieved and we had a good laugh.
With that put, I am still worried about two other possible pests:

1- In the base of the same sarracenia there was a little circular thing "carved" into the plant's tissue with alot of white fur surrounding it. It might have been a scale bug, a fungus or neither. Either way, he removed it and found no signs of any other similar things in the plant;

2- In the same plant, he digged a little around the plant to check if there were any larvae around the roots and a little bug came out. It was small, long but I cant provide a better description other than being similar to an earwig, although much much smaller and without the tail spikes. He removed it too from the plant.

For safety, we repotted this sarracenia into a temporary pot (its roots were bigger than I thought) and it showed no signs of bad roots. I am still a little worried about it since no new pitchers are developing but I believe it is normal since it is coming out of dormancy and it takes some time. This poor plant is being attacked from every side.

Living in Europe is difficult when it comes to these products because I see people saying how good of a pesticide a certain item is but I cannot find anything similar here without shipping it from the US. I was wondering which one of these 2 products I listed above would be the best option to fight the biggest amount of threats to my CPs. Couldn't find any shipper that could send me Acephate 75 over here to Europe, sadly. So i am currently restricted to either the Ortho 3-n-1 or the Bio Advanced.

Thanks for taking your time helping me! Really appreciated. :D
By Matt
JoaoBM wrote:Apparently, it was just a little spider making her home inside one of the sarracenia mouths.
That happens surprisingly frequently!

JoaoBM wrote:1- In the base of the same sarracenia there was a little circular thing "carved" into the plant's tissue with alot of white fur surrounding it. It might have been a scale bug, a fungus or neither.
The scale I've seen on Sarracenia doesn't have fur on it. That sounds more like mealybugs.

JoaoBM wrote:2- In the same plant, he digged a little around the plant to check if there were any larvae around the roots and a little bug came out. It was small, long but I cant provide a better description other than being similar to an earwig, although much much smaller and without the tail spikes.
Almost all insects that live in the soil pose no threat to your plants.

JoaoBM wrote:I am still a little worried about it since no new pitchers are developing but I believe it is normal since it is coming out of dormancy and it takes some time.
Depending on the species and the weather where you live, it may be a month or more before it starts growing its first pitchers. My plants are growing outside and none of them have started putting up pitchers yet. If the rhizome is healthy, it will start growing when conditions are right for it to do so.

JoaoBM wrote:Couldn't find any shipper that could send me Acephate 75 over here to Europe, sadly. So i am currently restricted to either the Ortho 3-n-1 or the Bio Advanced.
That's OK. I'll bet those products work well for any pests other than, perhaps, mites. Mites are tough buggers to get rid of!
By JoaoBM
Matt wrote: The scale I've seen on Sarracenia doesn't have fur on it. That sounds more like mealybugs.
Oh I did not know these were a thing. It looked exactly like this! Carved into the plant with white fur covering it.

Matt wrote: Depending on the species and the weather where you live, it may be a month or more before it starts growing its first pitchers. My plants are growing outside and none of them have started putting up pitchers yet. If the rhizome is healthy, it will start growing when conditions are right for it to do so.
Oh that is really reasurring.

Matt wrote: That's OK. I'll bet those products work well for any pests other than, perhaps, mites. Mites are tough buggers to get rid of!
Should I risk with Ortho 3-in-1? Also, thank you very much for your help. Tranquilized me alot. I really like these plants I rescued from a retail store and do not want them to die.
By Matt
JoaoBM wrote:Should I risk with Ortho 3-in-1?
I don't think it would be much risk at all to use the Ortho 3-in-1 and it will probably be pretty effective.

JoaoBM wrote:Also, thank you very much for your help. Tranquilized me alot.
Haha, I guess that's good!

JoaoBM wrote:I really like these plants I rescued from a retail store and do not want them to die.
With a little of your attention, they should do quite well for you in the long term :D
Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!