FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Gavan
Hey everyone, I got some unlabeled Drosera from a store that spiked my interest in carnivorous plants. Now that I'm in the hobby, I have been conscious of only acquiring plants I know the identification of, but I am still left with this original plant without a clue what the species is. Could you help me identify it? I started with one plant and it has sent off "pups" that I have since repotted, giving many examples in the pictures I have posted.

On a side note, some of the pots have lots of strange algae on it. Do you know what this algae is, and how to get rid of it? It is only in some of the pots and only affects the small seedlings, but it is unsightly and I would prefer not to have it! It peels off the dirt cleanly taking the top level of dirt with it, but I'm afraid it is just going to come back again. Thank you for all the help!
Attachments:
Unidentified Drosera with algae
Unidentified Drosera with algae
IMG_0228.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 2025 times
Unidentified Drosera
Unidentified Drosera
IMG_0226.jpg (2.98 MiB) Viewed 2025 times
By Viko89
I'd say drosera Natalensis. That's sometimes really hard with droseras...
About algaes, It could be cause by too much water or light. I'd removed the very top of the substrate and use it to try a mix of 1:1 oxygen peroxyd/water. I tried it to get rid of some larvas in the soil (it kills the larvas, the eggs and fungus) and it brings oxygen to roots. My plants didn't suffer at all but I can't be sure at 100% it could be because I didn't use too much of it or simply got luck).
You could simply use a Q-tip that you soak on the solution and touch only the algae areas so it doesn't get to your dear plants. Big max once a year because it also kills some good bacterias that need a little time to come back but at least you got read of the deases and if you remove what caused it then they shouldn't be back soon.
If anyone used it or had a bad experience with that, please express yourself :D
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!