FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By DTDream18
I ordered 2 Young DCXL Flytraps from a company called Wicked Botany. I was hesitant because there are so many sellers out there calling their seed grown plants different cultivars.

The only guys I really trust are Flytrapstore, CC and a few others. But these guys website has a long explanation of how everything they sell is tissue cultured .. And how their plants are the real deal.

They also say that their plants were not put through a dormancy stage this year and that it's ok to skip 1 year of dormancy on these young plants.

I know it's February already. But when I get these plants should I put them through a short, maybe 2 months dormancy in my fridge ? What do you guys think ?
By idwaneo
Young plants can skip their first year dormancy. Nothing bad will happen if in the right care. For new growers it’s recommended to stay away from dormancy for such small plants as they are prone to rot, mold and of course easier to kill than any other mature well established plant who may later grow back from rhizome ( in case you froze or almost completely killed it)

But by giving dormancy to such small flytrap you will for sure boost its growing pace next season and have a healthier plant that will reach maturity faster.

Its not late though. You may give 8-10 weeks rest. And that will do.
By Matt
I never recommend growing flytraps in artificial conditions. I'd say just give them natural sunlight and let them do their thing.

There seem to be some people who think that skipping dormancy works out OK for small plants, but that has never been my experience. They almost always get outgrown the following growing season by plants the same size that did have a proper dormancy. That's been our experience, at least, over the last 12 years of growing.
By DTDream18
I'm going to try an experiment. I just ordered 2 more DCXL from Wicked Botany. My first two have been put into dormancy in my fridge. I'm going to keep them there for 8 to 10 weeks.

I'm going to take the 2 new plants and put them into fresh pots of LFSM when they arrive. Skipping the dormant period.

When the first 2 plants come out of dormancy I'll plant them in the same pot. Marking the pot so that I can distinguish the plants from one another.

Any guesses as to what I might discover fellow enthusiasts ? I welcome any input .
By idwaneo
The ones who skipped dormancy will have less energy so probably less growth during the whole season. And prone to diseases since plant wont be so healthy.
By Fly Trap Hunter
i would do what Matt said. forced dormancy with plants that have not acclimated to natural environment over time will likely not survive. as long as you are in the northern hemisphere, the vtfs will go through a natural dormancy. all you have to do is put it in a sunny window for now and let it adjust. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By DragonsEye
I would say skip dormancy this year. Plants use light cues like the shortening of days to trigger the internal changes that prepare them to enter dormancy. Unless they have time to make those internal changes (and the increasing day lengths we are now experiencing will be telling the plant to get ready for spring), suddenly putting them into a fridge could adversely affect them.
By VenusPitcher
DragonsEye wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:10 pm I would say skip dormancy this year. Plants use light cues like the shortening of days to trigger the internal changes that prepare them to enter dormancy. Unless they have time to make those internal changes (and the increasing day lengths we are now experiencing will be telling the plant to get ready for spring), suddenly putting them into a fridge could adversely affect them.
Straight facts
Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!