FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By VenusPitcher
I ordered this plant feb 9 from a seller on amazon. Good reviews blah blah blah others posted photos that there’s came in fine. Mine did come fine, but one of the plants growth points snapped during shipping. The pitchers were all cracked but that really didn't bother me. I wake up today and the plants leaves are yellowing?!?! And the new leaves are to. The pitchers that did look good are now shriveling up. 2 pitchers look fine thoImage
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 4759 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 4759 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 4759 times
By sanguinearocks101
I know I have seen something like that before but I just can't place it, I think it may be due to its new conditions and/or the shipping stress especially if you live in the northern hemisphere and it didn't come with a heat pack. Here are some tips. Make sure you are watering it with distilled water, rainwater, or reverse-osmosis water. Make sure the media is appropriate for carnivorous plants.
By VenusPitcher
u think it has something to do with humidity? I am pretty new to Nepenthes, but I don’t want this to die on me. I did put water inside the pitchers cups so that they don’t dry out, is that what’s contributing to the yellowing of the leaves?
By sanguinearocks101
I do not think it has anything to do with humidity. Nepenthes respond to low humidity by not producing pitchers and Nepenthes Ventrata is known as being very adaptable to humidity and temperature conditions. The amount of water in the pitchers does not hurt the plant at all, it just prevents the plant from digesting bugs inside the pitcher. If you live in the northern hemisphere and it did not come with a heat pack then I am positive that is the cause. If you live in the southern hemisphere and it was very hot while the plant was shipping then the heat most likely caused it.
By VenusPitcher
sanguinearocks101 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:10 pm I do not think it has anything to do with humidity. Nepenthes respond to low humidity by not producing pitchers and Nepenthes Ventrata is known as being very adaptable to humidity and temperature conditions. The amount of water in the pitchers does not hurt the plant at all, it just prevents the plant from digesting bugs inside the pitcher. If you live in the northern hemisphere and it did not come with a heat pack then I am positive that is the cause. If you live in the southern hemisphere and it was very hot while the plant was shipping then the heat most likely caused it.
Will the plant ever recover?
By VenusPitcher
Also, should I cut off the yellowed leaves? Or will those turn green again? Sorry for asking all these questions 😂 I am just really scared of it dieing, and I paid 30$ for it which was probably way to expensive for a plant this size. Thx for help 😃
By sanguinearocks101
The damaged leaves will never recover and become completely green again and they will die off in a while. But the new growth will be good and green and there is a very low chance of your plant dying. I do not know how long it will take for it to pitcher again, my Nepenthes usually pitcher in the summer/fall but it really depends on your conditions. If you have good humidity it may have pitchers in a month and a half.
Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!