FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Shadowtski
That's an incandescent lamp. It puts out too much heat and is very inefficient. 410 lumens at 50 watts power consumption.
A quick search turned up a 1500 lumen LED bulb that only uses 14 watts of power consumption. And they're only $3 to $4 each.
Here's a 2 pack I found at Home Depot. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-100 ... /206923041
By sanguinearocks101
This is another light that I think may work. In case you could not tell, It uses 6.5 watts(It also says 60 watt equivalent but I'm not sure if that actually means anything) and is 800 lumens bright. It is incandescent.
Attachments:
lightbulbs.png
lightbulbs.png (756.29 KiB) Viewed 5299 times
By Shadowtski
I don't think that's bright enough.
Sunlight is about 10,000 lumens.
Open shade, for example the lighting on the North side of your house illuminated by the sky but not direct sunshine, is about 2,500 lumens.
I always try for 3000 or more in my grow setups/.
The most common fault I see in growing CP is inadequate lighting.
Just my 02¢ worth.
By SundewWolf
I don't really like those options either.

You could always try the daylight T5 fluorescent light set up, especially since the Nepenthes will eventually get large, but Venus flytraps need a lot of light. Honestly if I was planning on growing venus flytraps indoors I would prepare to drop $60-150 on some higher quality lights, something like a Viparspectra.

I have screwed around with 1450 lumen 6500K LED bulbs from the hardware store, but I needed multiple bulbs on each grow shelf and the growth was still not very optimal. The absolute minimum I would recommend personally is a $22 Red & Blue Yescom panel off amazon. I grow multiple sundews, nepenthes, and orchids under these as well as flytraps in the springtime before it's warm enough to place them outside without any risk of late spring frosts. It will get the job done but certainly is not the best, and you won't get optimal growth from them. Eventually I will replace my whole Yescom light arrangement because plants grown in "meh... it's alive" isn't really good enough for me anymore since I want plants in optimal conditions fro healthy growth and propagation.
By Apprz
Shadowtski wrote:I don't think that's bright enough.
Sunlight is about 10,000 lumens.
Open shade, for example the lighting on the North side of your house illuminated by the sky but not direct sunshine, is about 2,500 lumens.
I always try for 3000 or more in my grow setups/.
The most common fault I see in growing CP is inadequate lighting.
Just my 02¢ worth.
Its lux and thats a diffrence you can get over 10000 lux with 700 lumen if your lamp is 10 cm away from your plants

Gesendet von meinem ANE-LX1 mit Tapatalk

By mcgrumpers
According to the advertised specs, it's sufficient if you keep it close to the plant (spec: 256 umol/m2s at 8inches). However do note that the advertised specs in cheap chinese lights is usually at the brightest spot... right under the middle of the light. In other words, your growing area for flytraps may be a bit small.

SundewWolf recommended spending a bit more money on a somewhat nicer light. One of those viparspectra/mars hydro/meizhi ~$60 lights can give you a 2x2 ft growing area + a bit more for plants that don't need as much light. If you'll end up needing more growing space, a better light is worth considering.
By Adrien
I always go for bulbs with at least 1,000 lumens. I have over 3,000 lumens hitting my CP’s and they are doing great.
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!