FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By shmulikhazin09
Matt wrote:Looks like you got the most likely parts of the moss to grow, but it's hard to say from the photo if the bits are alive.

Were there any bits of green on the moss before it was dropped into the water?
It's a dry sphagnum.
By Matt
Right, yes, I can see that it was dried sphagnum. But if it was completely dry for too long, it will be dead and won't start growing.

In order for it to have a chance to grow, it needs to be a little green and alive still.
By Jeeper
What kind of dry sphag did you use? I find the spag-moss available on amazon if kept moist long enough will start growing again. I keep it moist, not in water though, anything I've left in water has just rotted. stuff a bunch in a pot and set in a tray with 1/4-1/2 inch of water and under light, in a month or so you should see moss growing, I then cut the heads of that and throw it in trays to grow. The trays I leave water in, once the moss is growing, and it spreads on its own.

Just my own experience/process...
By twitcher
I agree with Jeeper. I use a type of commercial orchid moss the is bone dry and appears to be a type of lf sphagnum. It eventually starts growing into a lovely pink type of apparent sphagnum but takes much longer for me to sprout. Slow growing as well. As I get some sprouts, I move to a tray used for the purpose of increasing my sphag. Probably takes a good 6 months to get some growing however.
By Fly Trap Hunter
I too have had that pinky brown Sphagmoss stay alive. I seperated out the top parts (heads I guess) and just top-coated some fly traps with it and it eventually grows. My moss doesnt get much action in the Summer heat, but it grows like mad in the cooler months.
I have some nice various colored live moss that you can have if you pay shipping, if in USA. Its red. green. brown. orange. pm me
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

I have only grown the humptydew type of D. burmann[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!