FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Dionaea Masukippa
So I recently got my hands on some nice shelving that I want to use for my CPs that don't like the cold and getting a jump start on my edible plants (tomatoes, peppers, herbs, etc) and flowers (for the bees).  So far it looks like this with the two grow lights I have. I'm thinking of upgrading/getting some new ones that better fit the area. Which of these do you think would be better?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electr ... /302218290

Or...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TSYK41P/re ... mEbD5D4S20

Or...

https://www.amazon.com/Yescom-Ultrathin ... B016CZMSBK

Or...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Horticulture-L ... 1001034430

It's so hard to choose!
Attachments:
Current set up. Sad... I know.
Current set up. Sad... I know.
tmp-cam--1872688248.jpg (111.77 KiB) Viewed 5480 times
By Ping
I have a lot of friends who use those Yescom lights from easy pz sundews all the way to making the darkest Sarracenia seedlings. If you want another option besides LED Agrobrite T5HOs are extremely good for the price.
By jpappy789
A couple thoughts...I have personally tried the 2-bulb Feit fixture from HD, and it's alright. Not my favorite spectrum visually (a bit too pink-ish for my eyes) but it does the trick. I really enjoy the white Yescoms, and they are a decent price for the light you get (20-25,000 lux at about 6" if I'm recalling that correctly). They clip right on to the wire shelving and fit that space well assuming yours are 12" or so deep.

I have heard good things about the HLG65s, however they are very powerful i.e. >200 umol at 18" so anything closer is going to be A LOT of light. You can see the full specs here: https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/products/hlg-65
By Nepenthes0260
I just buy the cheap Costco led 4000 lumen shop lights. These ones work exceptionally well and don't cost a lot. I have three of them above four 10 x 20 trays full of plants and they Drosera really like it.
By SundewWolf
I'm not a fan of the first link that you posted. When I checked the specs on their smaller models in store I saw really weak numbers. Seems like a piece of junk to me.

The Yescom panels are very good fro their price range, both the white and the Red & Blue variety. I do try to explain that I don't think they are super good growligths, they are just acceptable and cheap. I only bought them because I needed to upgrade my lights from the standard hardware store junk and I'm usually living paycheck to paycheck. Despite them being a large portion of my current light arrangement I have my eye on the Viparspectra grow lights which I want to buy to replace the yescom.

However, since you are just going to be starting veg and herbs they will be completely fine and should grow very well for you under the yescom, or even just under shop lights.
By Jeeper
I have 4ft by 2ft bakers shelving as well as a highland enclosure. I have:
Yescom (Blue/White) panels 18w
Some '50w' and '75w' panels (I'd assume no more than half that actual wattage)
Many 45" 5000k single LED strip 'shop lights'
Old T8 housings with various LED tubes
2000w (read 550w) COB/led unit above my heli/highland enclosure

I grow Tuberous Drosera, pygmies, Mexican and warm temperate pings, cepholotus, and all sorts of orchids.

The shop lights have been by-far the best units in terms of cost, light and growth. I run them anywhere from 8 to 16in from the plants. Unfortunately I don't think I've seen them in any other size than the 45 inch unit...

The '2000w' unit is good as well, but I have to have it 36+ inches above the plants or they become crispy...
By Dionaea Masukippa
Sorry for the late response, busy with work. So after reading all of the replies and some consideration, I've decided to go with the Yescoms for now. Thanks for all of the advice!
By Dionaea Masukippa
My lights came yesterday and I set them up. I really like them :D
Attachments:
tmp-cam--1964166630.jpg
tmp-cam--1964166630.jpg (98.76 KiB) Viewed 5357 times

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!