FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By kartupelis
I've had to relocate (and acquired some rescues) plants to overwinter them. The location is a closed porch that has some heat piping in it but overall it doesn't go above +15C. Southwest facing windows.
I've noticed the Dionaeas look a bit leggy and wide and had to nib some early flower stalks. They're slow but are they dormant (enough)?Image

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
By tracieh
I feel like mine are exiting dormancy as well. They have new growth sticking straight up and not close to the ground. They went dormant in early October so I am debating just bringing them up under a grow light a little early because they have been in the basement 9ish weeks now (I think 8 is the suggested minimum). Maybe it's just time they come out of dormancy?
By kartupelis
tracieh wrote:I feel like mine are exiting dormancy as well. They have new growth sticking straight up and not close to the ground. They went dormant in early October so I am debating just bringing them up under a grow light a little early because they have been in the basement 9ish weeks now (I think 8 is the suggested minimum). Maybe it's just time they come out of dormancy?
Mine went from an outside windowsill to this in about late october, early november as well.
To add to the frustration, much of the winter planted tulips are starting to emerge and I can bet you tree buckets of peat that it'll be freezing by the end of the month and much of it will be kaput.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk
By Matt
Yep, flytraps are starting tentatively exit dormancy now as the days get longer. If it is sufficiently warm, they will start putting out some new growth (slowly) over the next few weeks. That new growth will accelerate rapidly in March and April if the weather is sufficiently warm or they are in a temperature-controlled environment.

Ours too are just starting to exit dormancy here in southern Oregon. However, the nights are still at or near freezing so they aren't growing much, just showing a bit of readiness to grow with a clump of small traps forming in the middle of the rosettes.
Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!