FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By f1appyb1rd
New to the forum and currently living on the east coast in hardiness zone 7b.

I became interested in carnivorous plants back in July 2019 when I started growing a vft from a local plant store and then bought a sarracenia purp. and nepenthes Ventrata from Lowes. Now I have several CP’s growing inside on a windowsill and outside (currently dormant). Recently I have begun trying to grow CP’s from seed in a basement grow-closet.

Looking forward to talking with some fellow CP enthusiasts, learning whatever I can, and possibly obtaining new seeds/plants to try to grow.

My first (everyone’s first) nepenthes: N. Ventrata (pic taken 12/26/2019)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Shadowtski
Welcome to the forum!
You'll find many good people here, and a few cranky old misanthropes like me. :)

I'm a Drosera guy, I love the sticky ones.
I'm in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area, 5b, so I'm a little colder than you.
My temperate stuff is sleeping for the Winter and my Warm-Climate Sundews are in the basement under lights.

Good growing,
Mike
By f1appyb1rd
thekingofrandom wrote:can u post some more pics
OK. Here’s a nepenthes that I bought from Predatory Plants that has been producing somewhat ugly little pitchers. Nepenthes ('Rokko' x stenophylla) × truncata. Can’t wait to see what the more mature pitchers look like.

By f1appyb1rd
Shadowtski wrote:Welcome to the forum!
You'll find many good people here, and a few cranky old misanthropes like me. :)

I'm a Drosera guy, I love the sticky ones.
I'm in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area, 5b, so I'm a little colder than you.
My temperate stuff is sleeping for the Winter and my Warm-Climate Sundews are in the basement under lights.

Good growing,
Mike
Thanks! Nice to meet you. I’m more into nepenthes, myself but I do love the way drosera dew glistens in the light. I have some very small drosera capensis and burmanni from seed growing in my basement too. What does you basement setup look like?

By Shadowtski
What does you basement setup look like?
Here is one grow rack it's 72 x 48 x 18.
I have several other basement grow areas but they're not very photogenic, not that this rack is. :)
Lighting is a mix & match of various LED fixtures.
It's overcrowded and cluttered due to stuff coming inside for the Winter.
If you look closely, you can see a Bay Leaf Shrub, some Aloe, an Orchid, and some Passiflora cuttings too.
But mostly they're all Drosera.
20200103_181540.jpg
20200103_181540.jpg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 3430 times
Shadowtski liked this
By praxxus
Hey, sorry to intrude in on your conversation, but, I noticed you use a mixture of white/blurple leds on your plants. Do you notice a significant difference between the two? I am in the process of getting new lights for my plants right now.
By f1appyb1rd
praxxus wrote:
Hey, sorry to intrude in on your conversation, but, I noticed you use a mixture of white/blurple leds on your plants. Do you notice a significant difference between the two? I am in the process of getting new lights for my plants right now.
The blurple leds are more expensive and produce much more concentrated light. Be careful about putting your plants too close to the blurple leds, they are very strong. I bought this one from Walmart to try:
When I first used this led bulb in a spotlight, I put some drosera and a nepenthes like 6” away from it, which caused whatever pitchers and leaves were facing it to turn dark red in a day. I have since increased the distance between that blurple led and my plants.
Now I just buy ‘daylight’ led bulbs. I prefer them because they are cheaper and I don’t like looking at my plants under blurple light.

By Shadowtski
praxxus wrote:

The Blurple lights give an unworldly amount of Red to my Drosera but the light color is annoying to my eyes.
The White-looking LEDs do a fine job in growing and coloring up thew plants.
Buy whatever is on sale if it's bright enough and you don't mind the Blurple.

Mike
By kelvinc1989
Welcome! I too started my interests in carnivorous plants last summer and I'm loving it!

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!