FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By anansi
Hello, I’m new to this hobby and I’m trying to learn as much as I can to properly grow my VFTs. Hope you could help me with my questions below.

As a background, I live in the Philippines which is a tropical country and I learned that I should respect the dormancy of VFTs. Just wondering:

1. Will VFTs become dormant in tropical countries without my intervention?

2. I read from Savage Garden that one way to make CPs dormant in tropical countries is by uprooting the plant, placing it in a plastic bag, and refrigerate it during winter. Have anyone tried this method?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Huntsmanshorn
anansi wrote:

2. I read from Savage Garden that one way to make CPs dormant in tropical countries is by uprooting the plant, placing it in a plastic bag, and refrigerate it during winter. Have anyone tried this method?

Thanks in advance!
1. Not usually.
2. Yes, it works but keep an eye on things to avoid mold.
By anansi
Huntsmanshorn wrote:
anansi wrote:

Thanks in advance!
1. Not usually.
2. Yes, it works but keep an eye on things to avoid mold.

Thank you for the answers. By any chance, do you also reside in a tropical country? If yes, any tips on how to help VFTs go dormant aside from the refrigeration method?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Huntsmanshorn
anansi wrote: Thank you for the answers. By any chance, do you also reside in a tropical country? If yes, any tips on how to help VFTs go dormant aside from the refrigeration method?
Nope, sorry, I live in decidedly not tropical country.
By tommyr
For VFTs, I drain off excess water from the pots, hit them with a sulphur based fungicide and place in zip lock bags and pop them in the fridge for 3 - 3 1/2 months. I occasionally check them (once a month) for fungus and hit with the fungicide if needed. Late winter around February/March I take them out hit them with SULFUR based fungicide again and place in a south and west window and some under florescent and white 'daylight' LED lights until night time temps. regularly stay above freezing then slowly acclimate them to full outdoor Sun. I've been using this method for going on 12 years with no losses.
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!