FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By DesertPat
Help me out here smart people. What is the difference between a scape and an inflorescence? I can't make heads or tails of it, I've never studied botany before.

Patrick
By DragonsEye
Good Q. Unfortunately there is no truly solid answer. Truth be told, the definition of "scape" is really rather murky. Different sources may give you different answers.

The one Mike gave you will suffice. Some sources will count the scape as part of the inflorescence, while others do not. Then to complicate matters further for you, there is also the term "spike" which is particularly common in the orchid hobby. :D While this is likely far more info than you really wanted to know, there is a site which gets into the different types/classes of inflorescence here >>> http://www.biologydiscussion.com/botany ... tany/20048

DragonsEye, DragonsEye liked this
By DesertPat
Thanks for the replies. I'm just trying to make sense of how to properly refer to the flower stalks of (mainly) Drosera and Dioneae, so I suppose in light of what everyone has said, one would refer to the entire thing as a scape?

Patrick
By DragonsEye
DesertPat wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm just trying to make sense of how to properly refer to the flower stalks of (mainly) Drosera and Dioneae, so I suppose in light of what everyone has said, one would refer to the entire thing as a scape?

Patrick
As far as proper terminology goes, I believe you would refer to the "entire thing" as an "inflorescence."
The "scape" is the "naked"/leafless/flowerless long section of the stalk between the main body of the plant and the area in which the flowers are located.
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!