FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Shadowtski
Ping wrote:Mike! How are your Compact Rosette seeds coming along? I've just now been able to feed mine and they put on a bit of size from it. I got a good mix of albas and reds!
I had a bit of a disaster.
A Chipmunk or some type of burrowing rodent went frolicking and digging in one of my seed trays.
Many of the cells were dug into or disturbed.
There goes my identification.
Seeds and media were tossed from one cell to another.
All those plants will have to have an asterisk or question mark on their labels now.
I only left the tray uncovered for a few hours.

Oh well,
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
By mouthstofeed
Were brevifolia or nepenthes ampullaria involved in the chipmunk attack?
By Ping
What a shame! Well, as soon as mine aren't the size of a pencil eraser I'll send some your way.
Shadowtski wrote:I had a bit of a disaster.
A Chipmunk or some type of burrowing rodent went frolicking and digging in one of my seed trays.
Many of the cells were dug into or disturbed.
There goes my identification.
Seeds and media were tossed from one cell to another.
All those plants will have to have an asterisk or question mark on their labels now.
I only left the tray uncovered for a few hours.

Oh well,
Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue.
By ilovedrosera
post more pics of baby plants please, sorry to intrude.
By Shadowtski
mouthstofeed wrote:Were brevifolia or nepenthes ampullaria involved in the chipmunk attack?
No Nepenthes seeds were in the tray, but the brevifolia are a write-off.
The one that hurt the worst was the total loss of the Drosera spiralis. It's just a gaping empty cell now.
I had so many different varieties of Capes in there, they're all scrambled now. I had several Red varieties, crestate and compact varieties, and even some possible giant variety seeds.
They are now all Typicals. :(

I did, of course, declare war on the chipmunks in my yard and buy some new rat traps.

I just brought the tray inside today. I may post some photos in the near future.
By CarnivoresUnite
All it takes is one chipmunk..

So sorry to hear this, Mike! As a fellow Capensis enthusiast, I hope that these scattered young ones that survive can one day be identified perhaps, but at least if they live on as typicals they do live to see another season..

Carnivorous Plants Lives matter!
By mouthstofeed
Shadowtski wrote:
mouthstofeed wrote:Were brevifolia or nepenthes ampullaria involved in the chipmunk attack?
No Nepenthes seeds were in the tray, but the brevifolia are a write-off.
The one that hurt the worst was the total loss of the Drosera spiralis. It's just a gaping empty cell now.
I had so many different varieties of Capes in there, they're all scrambled now. I had several Red varieties, crestate and compact varieties, and even some possible giant variety seeds.
They are now all Typicals. :(

I did, of course, declare war on the chipmunks in my yard and buy some new rat traps.

I just brought the tray inside today. I may post some photos in the near future.
I know your pain. I lost all my seedlings a year ago when I put my tray under the roof eaves. Naturally a heavy storm arrived not soon after.

I think I killed the squirrels in my back yard. I used a lot of neem oil in the spring to kill whatever was infesting my pitchers. I think that a lot of the oil got into nuts the squirrels had buried in the pots, and that it poisoned them. Maybe you can wage some chemical warfare on the critters.
By Ping
Just transplanted most of my compact rosette seedlings so they can start beefing up.

Mike, is it too cold where you are to ship tropics this time of year? One of these pots has your name all over it. Think of it as a not-so secret secret Santa gift!

By Shadowtski
Ping wrote:Just transplanted most of my compact rosette seedlings so they can start beefing up.

Mike, is it too cold where you are to ship tropics this time of year? One of these pots has your name all over it. Think of it as a not-so secret secret Santa gift!

Normally no, but Milwaukee is going to have 10 days of above average, above freezing temperatures.
If you shipped it quickly, the weather would be in our favor.
Otherwise, shipping would have to wait until mid-April.
Can I reimburse you for shipping?

Thank you very much!
Merry Christmas,
Mike
10 Day Forecast.jpg
10 Day Forecast.jpg (392.58 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
Shadowtski, Shadowtski liked this

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

worm in substrate?

might be fungus gnat larvae

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!