FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Mawy_Plants
Posts:  378
Joined:  Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:23 am
#345292
This is such a neat thread. Gah, I love plants!

Great idea with the prickly pear jelly, I see fruits just falling off plants around my neighborhood. Maybe I should do some harvesting. Haha

Good growing you two!
Mawy_Plants liked this
By optique
Posts:  367
Joined:  Fri May 24, 2019 11:15 pm
#345295
Got a question for you cactus guys, I was bequeathed a peruvian apple cactus and this year i tried to pollinate it out of 8 blooms two seem to have part of the flower stalk left. is this a fruit?
Image


the flowers are big and only open at night, need to learn how to up the pollinate rate .
Image
optique liked this
By Dionae
Posts:  4278
Joined:  Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:03 am
#345302
optique wrote:Got a question for you cactus guys, I was bequeathed a peruvian apple cactus and this year i tried to pollinate it out of 8 blooms two seem to have part of the flower stalk left. is this a fruit?
Image


the flowers are big and only open at night, need to learn how to up the pollinate rate .
Image
Looks like fruit to me!
By bananaman
Posts:  2059
Joined:  Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:54 am
#346824
Alrighty,
I guess I’ll add an update. The seedlings I’ve got have grown some, but I haven’t taken the best care of them and they’re a tad etiolated. They ain’t in the best shape, but they’re doing OK. At the bottom, you’ll notice a new addition to the thread: some Agave utahensis I grew from seed I got in AZ this summer. The plant they came from was quite dwarfed (I couldn’t reach any pods on a full-sized plant!), so it’ll be fun to see what they grow into.
8434F34A-02A6-4FC0-B485-58E776A8D638.jpeg
8434F34A-02A6-4FC0-B485-58E776A8D638.jpeg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 441 times
I’m already liking the spines on some of the E. reichenbachii.
67757BC3-6AD7-4AFA-B49A-51493C0E39B9.jpeg
67757BC3-6AD7-4AFA-B49A-51493C0E39B9.jpeg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 441 times
I’ve also got something fun in the works. I crossed two of my Schlumbergera (Christmas cacti). Here’s the pollen donor, a lovely white hybrid I got last year. Interestingly, it has a hot pink ring in the middle of the flower.
D10599DB-A32C-4258-9969-12EE37FB23E1.jpeg
D10599DB-A32C-4258-9969-12EE37FB23E1.jpeg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 441 times
Here’s the mother plant. This originally came from my grandmother and I’ve had it for basically my whole life. Who knows how old the plant was when we got it. A while back, it sort of rotted out, but we saved a bunch of branches and have like 8 of them now. This one gets absolutely loaded with blooms.
AAEF7E5C-EC8F-474F-8144-B0EB79A394FF.jpeg
AAEF7E5C-EC8F-474F-8144-B0EB79A394FF.jpeg (999.13 KiB) Viewed 441 times
I’m about a million times better at growing jungle cacti than I am at growing desert cacti, so I’m looking forward to the results!
bananaman liked this
By Dionae
Posts:  4278
Joined:  Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:03 am
#346871
Looking good! Excited to see what comes from that cross.

A lil tip on the cactus next time you grow some from seed. They like to be moist with high humidity. I grow mine in baggies. I know, sounds weird for cactus but that's how I've learned to grow them. I'll post pics after work.
User avatar
By Jeeper
Location: 
Posts:  403
Joined:  Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:47 am
#346872
Love the agave! Wish I was able to grow them outdoors year round, alas, stuck with smaller species that i can bring in...
By bananaman
Posts:  2059
Joined:  Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:54 am
#346873
Dionae wrote:Looking good! Excited to see what comes from that cross.

A lil tip on the cactus next time you grow some from seed. They like to be moist with high humidity. I grow mine in baggies. I know, sounds weird for cactus but that's how I've learned to grow them. I'll post pics after work.
I’ve got these growing in a bag with high humidity, but I do believe they’ve dried out some because the pots are so tiny. I’m pretty stoked for the Christmas cactus cross, too. I love growing those things.
Jeeper wrote:Love the agave! Wish I was able to grow them outdoors year round, alas, stuck with smaller species that i can bring in...
Agaves are great. The species of these seedlings, A. utahensis is extremely cold hardy and not super big. The biggest I saw out in the wild were only like 2 feet wide (though the bloom spikes were much bigger than that).

Here’s a couple of my other agaves. They’re all still itty bitty right now. Here, the biggest problem is agave weevil, which eats out the plant and kills it. There’s no cure. I know for a fact that it occurs in my neighborhood, but it hasn’t gotten to any agaves on my property.
A. nickelsiae
A21EF9F5-9A15-49F0-BA0E-A24EBBAFF1A4.jpeg
A21EF9F5-9A15-49F0-BA0E-A24EBBAFF1A4.jpeg (3.05 MiB) Viewed 425 times
A. parryi v. truncata
AE2E70DE-AEBF-4D70-B0E7-53CFC51F8989.jpeg
AE2E70DE-AEBF-4D70-B0E7-53CFC51F8989.jpeg (2.32 MiB) Viewed 425 times
I’ve also got A. bracteosa. I might get some bulbils off of my neighbor’s gigantic A. americana that bloomed this year (the rosette was nearly 10' tall before blooming :shock:), but IDK if I want to deal with that species. If I get a big one, I’d much rather deal with A. weberi or A. ovaltifolia. I have some unknown medium-sized agaves in the ground that might be A. americana, but they look a bit wrong and are on the small side.
By Dionae
Posts:  4278
Joined:  Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:03 am
#346918
Here's a few cactus I grew from seed. I'm quite addicted as with most things I get into.
IMG_20191127_144835_842.jpg
IMG_20191127_144835_842.jpg (286.74 KiB) Viewed 418 times
IMG_20191127_144835_796.jpg
IMG_20191127_144835_796.jpg (150.41 KiB) Viewed 418 times
IMG_20191127_144835_832.jpg
IMG_20191127_144835_832.jpg (148.26 KiB) Viewed 418 times
IMG_20191127_144835_811.jpg
IMG_20191127_144835_811.jpg (164.52 KiB) Viewed 418 times
IMG_20191127_144835_812.jpg
IMG_20191127_144835_812.jpg (170.67 KiB) Viewed 418 times
IMG_20191213_222008_789.jpg
IMG_20191213_222008_789.jpg (49.61 KiB) Viewed 418 times
IMG_20191213_222012_276.jpg
IMG_20191213_222012_276.jpg (46.2 KiB) Viewed 418 times
IMG_20191213_222022_756.jpg
IMG_20191213_222022_756.jpg (51.72 KiB) Viewed 418 times
IMG_20191213_222028_510.jpg
IMG_20191213_222028_510.jpg (62.29 KiB) Viewed 418 times
IMG_20191213_222033_677.jpg
IMG_20191213_222033_677.jpg (50.44 KiB) Viewed 418 times
IMG_20191213_222036_893.jpg
IMG_20191213_222036_893.jpg (50.82 KiB) Viewed 418 times
Couple of cactus grafts with pereskiopsis as grafting stock.
IMG_20191213_223416_061.jpg
IMG_20191213_223416_061.jpg (41.23 KiB) Viewed 418 times
IMG_20191213_223416_062.jpg
IMG_20191213_223416_062.jpg (48.09 KiB) Viewed 418 times
Dionae liked this
User avatar
By Jeeper
Location: 
Posts:  403
Joined:  Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:47 am
#346921
bananaman wrote:
Dionae wrote:Looking good! Excited to see what comes from that cross.

A lil tip on the cactus next time you grow some from seed. They like to be moist with high humidity. I grow mine in baggies. I know, sounds weird for cactus but that's how I've learned to grow them. I'll post pics after work.
I’ve got these growing in a bag with high humidity, but I do believe they’ve dried out some because the pots are so tiny. I’m pretty stoked for the Christmas cactus cross, too. I love growing those things.
Jeeper wrote:Love the agave! Wish I was able to grow them outdoors year round, alas, stuck with smaller species that i can bring in...
Agaves are great. The species of these seedlings, A. utahensis is extremely cold hardy and not super big. The biggest I saw out in the wild were only like 2 feet wide (though the bloom spikes were much bigger than that).

Here’s a couple of my other agaves. They’re all still itty bitty right now. Here, the biggest problem is agave weevil, which eats out the plant and kills it. There’s no cure. I know for a fact that it occurs in my neighborhood, but it hasn’t gotten to any agaves on my property.
A. nickelsiae
A21EF9F5-9A15-49F0-BA0E-A24EBBAFF1A4.jpeg
A. parryi v. truncata
AE2E70DE-AEBF-4D70-B0E7-53CFC51F8989.jpeg
I’ve also got A. bracteosa. I might get some bulbils off of my neighbor’s gigantic A. americana that bloomed this year (the rosette was nearly 10' tall before blooming :shock:), but IDK if I want to deal with that species. If I get a big one, I’d much rather deal with A. weberi or A. ovaltifolia. I have some unknown medium-sized agaves in the ground that might be A. americana, but they look a bit wrong and are on the small side.
It was -11°f here this morning... Lol
I actually have both nickelsiae and truncata, I'd be interested in others if/when you have em available.
By bananaman
Posts:  2059
Joined:  Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:54 am
#346947
Jeeper wrote:It was -11°f here this morning... Lol
I actually have both nickelsiae and truncata, I'd be interested in others if/when you have em available.
A. nickelsiae is certainly my favorite smaller agave, but there’s others that are pretty cool, too like A. 'Blue Glow'. There’s a nearly blooming sized A. nickelsiae in the ground at the nursery nearby.

I think A. utahensis is good to zone 5 or 6, but like all agaves it needs to be bone dry when it’s cold.

I’ll certainly keep you in mind if I get any excess agaves.
Dionae wrote:Here's a few cactus I grew from seed. I'm quite addicted as with most things I get into.
Lol, you and me both :p When I get into something, I tend to get way, way into it. I can already see myself beginning to go into asclepiads (both succulent and not), orchids, and ferns...

Yours are looking real nice! Good job on them.
bananaman liked this
Seed Bank T-Form Observation

Hello Sundew growers! So back in March 2018 I […]

Basal shoot Helpp

So I separated the basal shoots about a month ago […]

New Lowii x burb help

Okay good to know I’ll remove all the curren[…]

Turns out I'm more of a novice than I realized....[…]

Hello From Central Illinois

Yes theyre so pretty. Mine took a huge nose dive w[…]

Baby Flytraps!

Some newer traps are opening up now. It seems to h[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!