FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By spruill771
Never seen this happen before, nor could I find anything online about it. One of my typical flytraps started growing traps on the side of its flower stalk. Is this a naturally common occurrence?

spruill771 liked this
By toiletshorts
Wow that looks so cool :O

I've never seen this myself.

Commenting to remind myself to check back later for more replies from others. Very interesting!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
By GreenOhio
Very neat! I've never seen that before on any on mine. I bet if you cut the stalk below where the traps are and plant the stalk it would root and take right off. Definitely watch that plant to see if it continues this season after season. If so, you might have a new cultivar on your hands.
By Coco
No, this isn’t a normal occurrence. I believe this is known as false vivipary. I’ve seen it happen on Drosera flower stalks and this’ll be the first time on a VFT. It’s very cool! Congrats on another plant :D

If you’re interested in seeds you can wait for a bit or cut the stalk below the plant and stick it in your choice of media for it to root.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Matt
Coco got it! It is called false vivipary. It isn't terribly common, but it isn't exceptionally rare either. I've seen it quite a few times over the years and there are a number of threads on the forums here with photos of plants like the one in the original post.

Those plants are large enough now that the flower stalk could be removed and the plants potted up!
By EGROEG
I wouldn’t say a very common occurrence, as out of the 20 flytraps I’ve grown for a few years, its only happened to one of them once. Looks cool though!
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!