FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By ikauga
Posts:  40
Joined:  Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:53 pm
#34242
Is it possible to grow the HighLand type outside during the time of year in SoCal?
Im worried about the sun and how hot the pot is gonna get
By dionaea muscipula
Posts:  1956
Joined:  Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:13 am
#34244
ikauga wrote:Is it possible to grow the HighLand type outside during the time of year in SoCal?
Im worried about the sun and how hot the pot is gonna get
ventricosa, yeahh i live in socal too and i am growing a N.ventricosa, oh and the N.ventricosa is more of a intermediate then a highlander. its been getting pretty cold lately so i would say leave it under a tree
By ikauga
Posts:  40
Joined:  Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:53 pm
#34249
Okay I got a Nep from the FlyTrapstore.Im excited about getting my first Nep (aside from 2 VFT IDK Capenisi seedlings and plants)
By dionaea muscipula
Posts:  1956
Joined:  Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:13 am
#34251
ikauga wrote:Okay I got a Nep from the FlyTrapstore.Im excited about getting my first Nep (aside from 2 VFT IDK Capenisi seedlings and plants)
Sweet...
By ikauga
Posts:  40
Joined:  Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:53 pm
#34553
Yay got it looks preetty beat and a pitcher is squished i think i can nurse it back to good health :D
User avatar
By Matt
Location: 
Posts:  22391
Joined:  Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:28 pm
#34554
ikauga wrote:Yay got it looks preetty beat and a pitcher is squished i think i can nurse it back to good health :D
I'm sure you will! Shipping them potted always increases the risk of them getting more beat up in transit. But I'm sure you'll have no problem getting growing in no time!
By Veronis
Location: 
Posts:  2200
Joined:  Fri May 29, 2009 8:41 pm
#34572
dionaea muscipula wrote:
ikauga wrote:Okay now i need a potting mix for the nep not sure what too get.Is 100% peat moss good?
no,no,no,no,nononononoonono i like to use this mix http://www.cascadecarnivores.com/produc ... d7d42faaf3 it works well for me
I have excellent results with a 1:1:1:1 mix of peat, perlite, vermiculite, and crushed orchid bark (sometimes the bags of it come with charcoal too, which is fine - the orchid bark pieces can be as big as a dime (ish) with some finer pieces). My ventricosa's mix has about 5-10% charcoal that came pre-bagged with the orchid bark, and it's doing very well.

Change the soil every year with a fresh mix of whatever you decide to use.
User avatar
By Matt
Location: 
Posts:  22391
Joined:  Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:28 pm
#34601
Veronis wrote:
dionaea muscipula wrote:
ikauga wrote:Okay now i need a potting mix for the nep not sure what too get.Is 100% peat moss good?
no,no,no,no,nononononoonono i like to use this mix http://www.cascadecarnivores.com/produc ... d7d42faaf3 it works well for me
I have excellent results with a 1:1:1:1 mix of peat, perlite, vermiculite, and crushed orchid bark (sometimes the bags of it come with charcoal too, which is fine - the orchid bark pieces can be as big as a dime (ish) with some finer pieces). My ventricosa's mix has about 5-10% charcoal that came pre-bagged with the orchid bark, and it's doing very well.

Change the soil every year with a fresh mix of whatever you decide to use.
I use pure sphagnum or sphagnum and perlite and the plants seem to do well with that too. I get the impression that Nepenthes aren't too picky about their media, though I don't have a ton of experience growing them.
By ikauga
Posts:  40
Joined:  Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:53 pm
#34639
Hmmm by piecing the mixes together i can proably use LFSM and pertile on the bottem and peat moss and live spaganum moss on top
Drosera seeds giveaway!

Yay! Thank you! Something to go in my new pot. Sen[…]

That is normal. It is called, creatively enough, a[…]

Hi from NC

Welcome to the forum.

Hi Ian and welcome to the forums! @Panman already […]

eBay sellers

I have gotten some plants from CCCP, 2 of the o[…]

Nepenthes Identification

I'm pretty sure 1,4,7,8, and 9 are N. rafflesiana[…]

Signature not showing

It attaches them, even if you do not see it. It […]

I finally got a chance to snap a picture, hope […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!