FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Lobster Ghost
I have a few butterworts currently on the tray watering technique. They have not produced succulent leaves yet. When should I expect to see succulent leaves? Should I start letting the water gradually decrease to trigger the growth of succulent leaves, or will it happen naturally? I've never had butterworts before so please explain the wintering process to me as a first time grower. :)
By twitcher
They will tell you, for the most part. Mexicans will start to produce smaller leaves over time. They talk to you, if you watch them carefully, you will see them move to that state.

Other with more experience will be along to help more. You may want to post what varieties you have, because there are differences among pings.
By Gaz
Some of my Mexicans have been producing the tighter rosettes (succulent) leaves for a while now. Some of the bigger ones like X Tina, gigantea don't seem to bother so it would help if you could say which ones you have if possible.

I'm in the UK so my greenhouse is already down to my minimum temperature of 5C some nights.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
By Gaz
Sorry forgot about the watering, yes I reduce the amount of water in the tray but still keep them moist until they start growing again. The process of forming "succulent" leaves happens automatically for those that do it.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
By jeff
Bonjour

in fact the leaves become succulent 'in situ' due to the dry season (dry season from November to May; rainy season from (April-May) June to October), some Mexican even make hibernacula or onions to spend this difficult season.

here in FRANCE for my part I cause dormancy by greatly reducing the watering or even by removing it, I leave the plants in a room at 10-12 ° c although bright.

be careful when the substrates you use are in peat, it is often difficult to rehydrate
By jpappy789
I prescribe to the same method twitcher alluded to: just wait and see what they do and adjust accordingly. Some species don't go into a full succulent phase and may just start producing smaller carnivorous leaves, and even those who "should" go succulent won't always do so without the right photoperiod (and to a lesser extent, temp and water) cues.

That said, I've heard from plenty of other Ping growers who don't do anything special even during the winter phase, especially if they have large collections all in the same watering trays. I have some that are fully succulent, some kinda in between, and others still putting out carnivorous leaves and I'm watering them all the same for now. But I have most in fully mineral mix that doesn't stay too wet either way.
By Archie Adams
Hi)Tropical butterworts will produce a tight rosette of smaller succulent-like leaves during winter when days become shorter and temperatures cool down. This type of formation is the plants' way of adapting to winter drought in the wild. They will resume regular growth after a few months.
By twitcher
Strictly speaking, I have never seen a ping that did not have succulent leaves, if we use the term properly. I much prefer to refer to carnivorous or non- carnivorous leaves (form). I think that is more accurate. Non-carnivorous leaves are more common in the winter and tend to be smaller than carnivorous leaves. The plants cycle between the two forms according to their own instincts. I have had plants stuck in non-carnivorous form for a year before switching out. There are others that seem to stay carnivorous all the time. I'm still looking for clues about what causes the changes. More water, more light and higher temperatures all seem to play a part. Maybe its axial tilt of the planet? :roll:
By jeff
for the mexicans as soon as the rainy periods of their region arrives May to October you can take them outside and they will then make normal leaves with mucilage to take a maximum of prey
for the temperees that are still outside the carnivorous leaves are starting to appear at this time
jeff
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!