FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Artchic528
So I went to Wal-Mart today and got a thing of Tetra freeze dried bloodworms. I'm guessing that I just crush a tiny amount up with either my fingers or my mortar and pestle, add water to make a paste, then feed the traps a tiny blob of food and stimulate them for digestion? I saw a video on YouTube about how to do it. Wish me luck!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
By tracieh
I have done this a few times. You have to keep squeezing the trap for like a minute for it to stimulate and think it has a live bug. If not it just opens again in a day or two. I screwed up my first time doing this and did not wet the worms and the trap opened up the next day w out eating the dried worms.
By DesertPat
You don't have to crush them up. Just soak them in pure water and then dab them dry. IMPORTANT: make sure when you dry them of the excess liquid you don't squeeze the good stuff out of the worms as that is what contains all the good nutrients. I've found in my experience that not drying them properly tends to cause trap rot...or maybe I just imagine it.

Tracieh is correct, when feeding dead food the traps must be periodically stimulated to ensure they seal properly. For seedlings it works well to use the ends of two toothpicks to very gently massage the traps from time to time after feeding.

Good luck with the seedlings, it's very rewarding to watch them grow.

Patrick

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!