FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Chups
Hi, i recently bought a big LED Growing light and i wanted to share if you guys think the light is too close to the plants? its about 20 inches away from the plants, they are growing indoors. Thanks in advance
Attachments:
Light setup 2.jpg
Light setup 2.jpg (204.84 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
Light setup 1.jpg
Light setup 1.jpg (202.34 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
By optique
just watch for the ventrata to tan. it will go from dark green to light green and get a yellow/orange hue. you will need to see it in normal white light to judge the tan. any distance that keeps the ventrata out of dark green should be ok for both.
optique liked this
By jpappy789
I'm not familiar with that particular fixture. Do you have any specs from the manufacturer on lumens, lux, PPFD, PAR, or any other sort of measure of light "intensity"? That would help get you in a more exact range. Either than or get a cheap $20 lux meter, which would also give you a decent idea.

But yeah, otherwise you might just have to play around with it. If you can get it in a spot where the Drosera stay dewy but the Nep doesn't get sunburnt, then you're good.
jpappy789 liked this
By Chups
jpappy789 wrote:I'm not familiar with that particular fixture. Do you have any specs from the manufacturer on lumens, lux, PPFD, PAR, or any other sort of measure of light "intensity"? That would help get you in a more exact range. Either than or get a cheap $20 lux meter, which would also give you a decent idea.

But yeah, otherwise you might just have to play around with it. If you can get it in a spot where the Drosera stay dewy but the Nep doesn't get sunburnt, then you're good.
EXTREMELY HIGH PPFD- PPFD, Photosynthetic Photon Flux Density,Hanging at 18", the PPFD is 941 umol/m²s. The bigger the density, the higher the value, the better the plant. COB LED has highest PPFD output. COB LED is much brighter and more efficient than traditional LEDs

Also this is the Light on Amazon,Thanks https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ML ... UTF8&psc=1
By mcgrumpers
I'd compare the intensity of light your plants are receiving to direct sunlight through a southern facing windowsill (which usually has a ppfd of 700-900, at least at my location). This is a lot more than you really need for any of your plants. I wouldn't move the light any closer and would perhaps even consider moving it to a height of 24". As noted by others, keep an eye out on the nepenthes and check for suntans and sunburns. Suntans are good, sunburns are bad.

Based on the type and number of plants shown in the picture, you could get away with a way smaller grow light if you wanted to save power. But if you're planning on getting helis or other types of light hungry plants, maybe the one you have now is ok.
mcgrumpers liked this
By optique
Ventrata can take bright light, mine is in full south sun(for the winter) and loves it. The leaves that get the most sun have a slight orange hue.

I am wondering what will happen to yours when it vines toward that bright light.

By Chups
optique wrote:Ventrata can take bright light, mine is in full south sun(for the winter) and loves it. The leaves that get the most sun have a slight orange hue.

I am wondering what will happen to yours when it vines toward that bright light.

I guess i will have to move it further away, anyways i will post a pic of the Leaves in about 3 days so you guys can see how its going, thanks for the help everyone.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!