FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By chomato
From the post I made a couple of weeks ago regarding the flower stalks my Burmannii was making, I decided to start harvesting some seeds from flowers that looked ready. Unfortunately, since this is technically my first time harvesting from individual flowers, I broke off the entire stalk by accident.

My question now is, are the flowers still attached to the stalk potentially viable enough to make seeds, or should I just dispose of it? Notice that on the pic attached, I managed to collect seed from just cutting 4 flowers, as they were the oldest, but I'm not too sure about the other ones still attached.

I can try posting a clearer pic if the quality isn't good enough
20191017_171145.jpg
20191017_171145.jpg (26.77 KiB) Viewed 2686 times
By Shadowtski
My suggestion is to let the stalk dry for 2 or 3 weeks.
See if any seedpods crack open and release seed when shaken, stirred, agitated, or twirled.
Odds are pretty good that there are a few more viable seeds in there.

Just my 02¢ worth.
By twitcher
I agree with Mike. After a brief drying period, you can break open the flower pods for more seeds, but likely the ones that mature will spill out with light tapping on the paper.

If you are eager to get more plants,y ou have visible seeds in your picture that you could plant immediately. Fresh seeds usually work better.

If you need more seed, the plant will likely bloom again soon.
By ChefDean
I have done this exact thing, and, as others have suggested, I just let it dry out. The pods that got pollinated will ripen, not as much as if still attached to the plant, and will still produce some seed.
If your plant is like mine, then you'll have more flower stalks soon anyway, I'm on stalk number 5 from one plant. Just keep it well fed and have fun.
By chomato
ChefDean wrote:I have done this exact thing, and, as others have suggested, I just let it dry out. The pods that got pollinated will ripen, not as much as if still attached to the plant, and will still produce some seed.
If your plant is like mine, then you'll have more flower stalks soon anyway, I'm on stalk number 5 from one plant. Just keep it well fed and have fun.
It's actually growing its 4th stalk right now, so it's doing quite well still!
IMG_20191028_154308.jpg
IMG_20191028_154308.jpg (95.08 KiB) Viewed 2578 times
By Shadowtski
Just make sure you keep feeding it adequately.
That makes the difference between a burmannii lasting a longer time and one petering out and dying sooner.

Just my 02¢ worth.
By chomato
Shadowtski wrote:
Just make sure you keep feeding it adequately.
That makes the difference between a burmannii lasting a longer time and one petering out and dying sooner.

Just my 02¢ worth.
Definitely! I've fed it maybe every 2 days 3 freeze dried bloodworms (aside from what it normally catches). I can probably give it more, but I've noticed this seems to be optimal for the plant so far.
By mcgrumpers
3 bloodworms every 2 days is way more than any of my CPs eat. Are burmanii's that gluttonous? Is feeding it every couple of weeks (like the rest of my CPs) not sufficient?
By chomato
mcgrumpers wrote:3 bloodworms every 2 days is way more than any of my CPs eat. Are burmanii's that gluttonous? Is feeding it every couple of weeks (like the rest of my CPs) not sufficient?
It eats quite a lot! I don't feed any of my other CPs this much.

Then again the frozen bloodworms I use are really small, like 1/2inch max. They're the omega one freeze dried bloodworms

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Browning Sarracenia and Aphids

Just wanted to update that with a new light and di[…]

Perlite from Ebay

how does this stuff look? https://www.fertilefibre[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!