FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By ikauga
Is it possible to grow the HighLand type outside during the time of year in SoCal?
Im worried about the sun and how hot the pot is gonna get
By dionaea muscipula
ikauga wrote:Is it possible to grow the HighLand type outside during the time of year in SoCal?
Im worried about the sun and how hot the pot is gonna get
ventricosa, yeahh i live in socal too and i am growing a N.ventricosa, oh and the N.ventricosa is more of a intermediate then a highlander. its been getting pretty cold lately so i would say leave it under a tree
By ikauga
Okay I got a Nep from the FlyTrapstore.Im excited about getting my first Nep (aside from 2 VFT IDK Capenisi seedlings and plants)
By dionaea muscipula
ikauga wrote:Okay I got a Nep from the FlyTrapstore.Im excited about getting my first Nep (aside from 2 VFT IDK Capenisi seedlings and plants)
Sweet...
By doku
I too live in SoCal and I like using pure long fiber sphagnum on all my Nepenthes. With highlanders I like using white pots if im keeping them outside in the sun. This keeps them cool.
By ikauga
Yay got it looks preetty beat and a pitcher is squished i think i can nurse it back to good health :D
By Matt
ikauga wrote:Yay got it looks preetty beat and a pitcher is squished i think i can nurse it back to good health :D
I'm sure you will! Shipping them potted always increases the risk of them getting more beat up in transit. But I'm sure you'll have no problem getting growing in no time!
By Veronis
dionaea muscipula wrote:
ikauga wrote:Okay now i need a potting mix for the nep not sure what too get.Is 100% peat moss good?
no,no,no,no,nononononoonono i like to use this mix http://www.cascadecarnivores.com/produc ... d7d42faaf3 it works well for me
I have excellent results with a 1:1:1:1 mix of peat, perlite, vermiculite, and crushed orchid bark (sometimes the bags of it come with charcoal too, which is fine - the orchid bark pieces can be as big as a dime (ish) with some finer pieces). My ventricosa's mix has about 5-10% charcoal that came pre-bagged with the orchid bark, and it's doing very well.

Change the soil every year with a fresh mix of whatever you decide to use.
By Matt
Veronis wrote:
dionaea muscipula wrote:
ikauga wrote:Okay now i need a potting mix for the nep not sure what too get.Is 100% peat moss good?
no,no,no,no,nononononoonono i like to use this mix http://www.cascadecarnivores.com/produc ... d7d42faaf3 it works well for me
I have excellent results with a 1:1:1:1 mix of peat, perlite, vermiculite, and crushed orchid bark (sometimes the bags of it come with charcoal too, which is fine - the orchid bark pieces can be as big as a dime (ish) with some finer pieces). My ventricosa's mix has about 5-10% charcoal that came pre-bagged with the orchid bark, and it's doing very well.

Change the soil every year with a fresh mix of whatever you decide to use.
I use pure sphagnum or sphagnum and perlite and the plants seem to do well with that too. I get the impression that Nepenthes aren't too picky about their media, though I don't have a ton of experience growing them.
By ikauga
Hmmm by piecing the mixes together i can proably use LFSM and pertile on the bottem and peat moss and live spaganum moss on top

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Drosera germination time

I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!