FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Lobster Ghost
I live in an area with inconsistent sunlight in the winter and I doubt it will be enough for my N. Ventricosa. What type of growth light should I buy? I'm just growing it on a windowsill (not in a terrarium/greenhouse) and the only light fixture I have is a desk lamp. Of course I would be happy to replace the bulb in the lamp with one that would suit the plant but the lamp is only rated for max 40W or 13W self-ballasted. So I was thinking of buying an LED (A19, 6W) bulb to put in it. Would that be suitable for a tropical pitcher plant? If not, can anyone recommend me an affordable (let's say less than $50) growth light that comes with both a bulb and a fixture to put it in (since I'm assuming most growth lights don't fit your average desk lamp)? Another problem is that I don't have anywhere to hang a growth light, so it would have to sit on a flat surface.
By thefic
I use felt electric 19w full spectrum grow lights and regular daylight 6500k led lights in a shop light fixture.

Both seem to work just fine.

You may have to adjust the height a little bit. I leave the small grow lights about 13 inches or so above the tips of the plants and the daylight leds are about 2 or 3 feet above depending on time of year and lead coloring.
thefic liked this
By Lobster Ghost
Sorry, but what exactly is are felt electric lights?
thefic wrote:I use felt electric 19w full spectrum grow lights and regular daylight 6500k led lights in a shop light fixture.

Both seem to work just fine.

You may have to adjust the height a little bit. I leave the small grow lights about 13 inches or so above the tips of the plants and the daylight leds are about 2 or 3 feet above depending on time of year and lead coloring.
By Fieldofscreams
Last winter I put my Ventrata in front of a West facing window. It got almost no light at all. Despite almost no light it grew like crazy, easily twice the size it was before I put it there in the fall. Only down side is it killed off it's pitchers and didn't grow new ones.

This winter I put it in front of the same window except now I'm also using a dual T8 shop light with 6500k bulbs. So far so good.
Fieldofscreams liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!