FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Wviglianti
Hello guys! I’m from Florida and I adopted my very first Venus fly trap on Wednesday October 16th of 2019, (almost a week ago)... I named him Legion, because they were really small and all stuck together... I read some articles on how to repot them so I made sure that I got everything adequate for him. I bought an Organic Plant Soil Made of Sphagnum Peat Moss and Perlite, and a Self watering and aerating pot for it. Now, before getting the plant I made some research and I read about dormancy, but I thought it would start on December... after i got the plant i read again that it could start that process on October... I looked up articles About dormancy and still have no answer for it! Im not sure if he was already in dormancy when I adopted it or it just changed... I’ve only found 2 completely black heads on these days but the plant looks very healthy and i’ve been giving him sun every morning... in florida is not cold at all right now and the inside temperature of the house im living in is 76 or 78 everyday... please if you can help this beginner to understand this plant would be wonderful! Im gonna attach pictures of before and after re-potting the plant... i used rain water to water and re-pot the plant
When i got the plant
When i got the plant
DC18CFE8-35C3-4CCD-A3E3-7F042CA4CAF7.jpeg (479.57 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
When i first re-potted
When i first re-potted
1235AE65-A96B-4C6B-A850-CC5623E8751A.jpeg (3.82 MiB) Viewed 1100 times
I separated them from being all together this morning, I thought they were a whole plant
I separated them from being all together this morning, I thought they were a whole plant
87A1BB1A-5A9A-4345-9CDF-D0F4F9E40D57.jpeg (3.24 MiB) Viewed 1100 times
By That one plant boi
Congrats on getting a flytrap! They are looking good, but I would recommend growing them outdoors in full sun for, at the very least, four hours a day, but they should be getting around six hours or more of direct sunlight every day.

They appear to be heading into dormancy, but from my experience (I live in Central Florida) they don't tend to actually go fully dormant until mid November to early December. They also tend to keep most of their leaves here instead of losing them.

I hope all goes well for you and your flytrap!

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk
That one plant boi liked this
N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!