FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss carnivorous plant books here

Moderator: Matt

By bvalente
Follow my train of thought here :lol:

Been doing more research and everything and I am truly getting more and more passionate about growing CP every day. Not just my VFT, Nepenthes, Drosera, Sarracenia, Pingueculca, and Cephalotus, but also getting into growing some live sphagnum to make it more decorative around their pots.

I also am looking into making a bog garden to hopefully plant my VFT and Sarrs together in ground to "buddy up" and grow outdoors all year round. I have been researching and I know my Saris will be fine in a pot throughout the winter, even with cold roots, but I know VFT need a little more care and it got me thinking to learn even more about these. I have learned a lot from Matt and many of the other members on here and I hope to keep contributing anyway I can.

This entire process has had me thinking and this summer I plan on making a trip to Wilmington, NC to see some VFT in the wild and go hiking. I want to see these in the wild, learn more about them, and replicate best I can here in Michigan, making a bog I feel will help protect the roots for the VFT (although it doesn't matter as much for Sarrs) to keep them outside all year round. The snow and dead leaves actually will help insulate them.

While I was thinking about all of this, it made me want to learn more not just about them, but things I don't know as much about such as Ceph and Neps. I am very passionate about VFT and they're my favorite, but I would like to get more knowledgable about other CP as well. I love learning. Not just about the tricks of the trade but how they adapted and are suited for their environment. Hence, why I am purchasing a copy of The Savage Garden for eBooks on my MacBook and iPhone :D
By tish
Its a very good book and i refer to it a lot. However when i was looking for specific growing condition like soil mix. Watering and sun for drosera. It only have very general info . Not speific. Just want to point this out

Sent from my SM-N9005
By katya_dog1
I agree with tish. It is very good for a beginner, but the older copy has more general information. Obviously Peter is more interested in Nepenthes, as he list a bunch of different hybrids.

Bottom line, I would get the newer copy, because the old one has next to nothing on vft cultivars and cephalotus cultivars.
By tish
Ohh I didnt know the older copy has different set of information. Perhaps i should borrow an old copy to compare.

Sent from my SM-N9005
By katya_dog1
If you were talking about the new copy then that may be different. I have the old one.

Bvalente, go ahead and get the newer copy. It is a good book to have regardless.
By drtd
Go on YouTube and search for Sarracenia NW and you will find a plethora of excellent videos of specific care info for both temperate species as well as tropical species. The owners also respond directly to specific questions on http://www.allexperts.com
By drtd
I too love The Savage Garden, and reread it about once a year just for fun :)
By Artchic528
I have an autographed copy of the Revised Edition. Had to get it after the earlier (non revised) copy I had went missing. Great general knowledge and cultivar information!
By tossnupweightboi
It’s a great read to me as well, I’m reading it right now. I’m trying to expand my knowledge as well as my collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I r[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

SASE mailed thank you

Looking for a Cephalotus

A guy in a plant club I'm in said he had some Nepe[…]

AI Generated Nepenthes

Hey look, it's those oddly neon bonsai seeds for s[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!