FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Flytrap mom
So! All the reverse osmosis water I can buy has minerals added after reverse osmosis! Can I collect snow this winter and melt it to water my plant as it hybernates?
By fadfffs
I would think that as long as the snow is fresh and not contaminated then it would be, as near as makes no difference, the same as rainwater. It probably wouldn't hurt to get a TDS meter though.

Also, I've checked a big 5 gallon jug of purified water that had been "enriched with minerals for taste" and the TDS was only at 10ppm. Unless they go crazy with the mineral additives I would assume most water with a little bit of minerals added would still be fine.
fadfffs liked this
By twitcher
Unless your collection is large, you can make easy zero tds water with a "Zero Water" filter (that's a brand name). It works great.

Like all RO water sources, the filters do need to be replaced from time to time, but unless your water source is very difficult, they last a long time. I found a unit at Walmart discounted to under $20. Replacement filters are about 25.00 each. The purer your water, the longer the filters last.
twitcher liked this
By steve booth
Snow is the same as rainwater as long as it hasnt been contaminated since it has fallen.

Cheers
Steve
By Artchic528
Just keep in mind that the volume of snow you have will be drastically more than it's equivillant in water. Water expands a fair bit when frozen, so you'll need a lot of snow for a reasonable amount of water.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
By tommyr
I'll note that a full, packed 5 gallon bucket of snow makes about 2 gallons of water.
By Coco
twitcher wrote:Unless your collection is large, you can make easy zero tds water with a "Zero Water" filter (that's a brand name). It works great.

Like all RO water sources, the filters do need to be replaced from time to time, but unless your water source is very difficult, they last a long time. I found a unit at Walmart discounted to under $20. Replacement filters are about 25.00 each. The purer your water, the longer the filters last.
I liked ZeroWater at first, but I found something cheaper which is to buy from a water dispenser where it's 5 gallons for a buck and the TDS is a reading of 6.

With ZeroWater, I calculated how many gallons I'd go through each filter and it was an average of 25-28 gallons per filter and the filter I can find the cheapest on eBay was for $8. The reading of my tap water is 140 PPM where of course, if one's PPM is lower you'll be able to make the filter last a lil bit longer.
Last edited by Coco on Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
By optique
have you tested your tap water?
By jpappy789
Coco wrote:
twitcher wrote:Unless your collection is large, you can make easy zero tds water with a "Zero Water" filter (that's a brand name). It works great.

I liked ZeroWater at first, but I found something cheaper which is to buy from a water dispenser where it's 5 gallons for a buck and the TDS is a reading of 6.

With ZeroWater, I calculated how many gallons I'd go through each filter and it was an average of 25-28 gallons per filter and the filter I can find the cheapest on eBay was for $8. The reading of my tap water is 140 PPM where of course, if one's PPM is lower you'll be able to make the filter last a lil bit longer.
This is my go-to now too. A couple grocery stores and even a nearby Home Depot have dispensers where it's 40c/gal (i.e. 5 gal for $2) but still saves on buying new jugs, and saves plastic too. I've never tested TDS above 10 ppm, although I always test each one just in case.

Don't like carrying gallon jugs back and forth, but stupid faucets don't fit the RO/DI...
By Coco
jpappy789 wrote: This is my go-to now too. A couple grocery stores and even a nearby Home Depot have dispensers where it's 40c/gal (i.e. 5 gal for $2) but still saves on buying new jugs, and saves plastic too. I've never tested TDS above 10 ppm, although I always test each one just in case.

Don't like carrying gallon jugs back and forth, but stupid faucets don't fit the RO/DI...
I tell myself as I carry 6 jugs back and forth that this is a good workout ... but the pain in my face says otherwise :lol:
I buy mine over at Winco where it's 20 cents per gallon. Some other locations is 30 cents. If you have one close to you it might be worthwhile to check it out. A sink renovation to fit a RO/DI would be something to consider. I'm stuck doing this for another year or so.

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Hello everyone! I am a new flytrap owner and purc[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!