FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By mo_carnivore
Posts:  527
Joined:  Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:20 pm
#344896
These guys were looking pretty good lately... I think that being in the basement this summer really helped with the temperatures. Enjoy!

Graomogolensis: still a bit lighter red than normal because of a recent feeding, but it’s filling out nicely
239E3991-681A-4F2A-9B6C-69E340FF5D24.jpeg
239E3991-681A-4F2A-9B6C-69E340FF5D24.jpeg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 647 times
3D1D3995-45B7-409F-B660-10DA21F3707B.jpeg
3D1D3995-45B7-409F-B660-10DA21F3707B.jpeg (918.54 KiB) Viewed 647 times
Latifolia: I am loving the color and shape of this one
D7A0B18E-F0A0-473D-AB21-CB3EA8AE3F22.jpeg
D7A0B18E-F0A0-473D-AB21-CB3EA8AE3F22.jpeg (2.92 MiB) Viewed 647 times
Tomentosa: I have essentially ignored this pot for close to 7 months and the plants have rewarded me for it :D
678D7EB3-97F7-4693-98DA-7128BBFA000B.jpeg
678D7EB3-97F7-4693-98DA-7128BBFA000B.jpeg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 647 times
Spiralis: super excited for the flower stalk! Hopefully as it gets older it will hold more leaves at a time
44629685-DD8B-4E5C-8F25-418D8ECBE2F7.jpeg
44629685-DD8B-4E5C-8F25-418D8ECBE2F7.jpeg (893.83 KiB) Viewed 647 times
Villosa: some say that it’s just a picky capensis, but I strongly disagree. The color and gracile form are much more pronounced in villosa
F125500D-121A-48A0-A174-42C1574E77E3.jpeg
F125500D-121A-48A0-A174-42C1574E77E3.jpeg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 647 times
Solaris: finally starting to pick up growth after I imported it last summer. And if you think you can see a spent flower stalk hiding among the leaves, you would be right :)
CD0A2E71-8E22-4E9B-A9D3-5DEE61D38732.jpeg
CD0A2E71-8E22-4E9B-A9D3-5DEE61D38732.jpeg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 647 times
Roraimae: size isn’t everything! This is probably one of my favorite plants in the collection, even though I could fit it on my pointer finger.
B782E6E5-CD13-420B-9C7C-68094F6F186B.jpeg
B782E6E5-CD13-420B-9C7C-68094F6F186B.jpeg (752.93 KiB) Viewed 647 times
Thanks!
User avatar
By Coco
Location: 
Posts:  257
Joined:  Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:07 am
#344899
Your plants are like a ruby stone! Very healthy and excellent growth on all of them :)

With the latifolia, it kind of reminds me of a shape of a king's crown lol Is that it's natural shape or was it recently fed?
By Mawy_Plants
Posts:  378
Joined:  Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:23 am
#344907
Also a fan of the Roraimae! Beautiful specimens, every time I see other Drosera I remind myself why I don’t thin them out of my collection. There’s so many more to collect, duh!

Hope the others are just as happy and well, as with their caretaker!


Good growing!
Mary
User avatar
By Coco
Location: 
Posts:  257
Joined:  Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:07 am
#344909
D. graomogolensis from my experience is an easy plant. I just leave it on a bright, sunny windowsill and keep the media moist and that's it. It's an amazing plant to have.
By mo_carnivore
Posts:  527
Joined:  Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:20 pm
#344914
Coco wrote:With the latifolia, it kind of reminds me of a shape of a king's crown lol Is that it's natural shape or was it recently fed?
That’s actually it’s natural shape. I think that the strong leds I use in my grow area contribute to the curled up leaves.
By mo_carnivore
Posts:  527
Joined:  Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:20 pm
#344915
Mawy_Plants wrote:Also a fan of the Roraimae! Beautiful specimens, every time I see other Drosera I remind myself why I don’t thin them out of my collection. There’s so many more to collect, duh!

Hope the others are just as happy and well, as with their caretaker!


Good growing!
Mary
Haha yes that’s why I love the genus! With over 200 species and different locations and forms of each, it is a lifelong process, I’m sure. But the journey is what counts!
Both the other plants and their caretaker are doing quite well, thank you! I think that my being busy these past couple months might have helped these guys along. They always seem to do better the less I stare at them :lol:
User avatar
By Nepenthes0260
Posts:  555
Joined:  Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:59 am
#344923
Wow! Awesome dews! I would love to see pics of your S. American grow setup. My S.American dews are just with my helis currently, but I'm trying to make a setup just for them because I have lots of leaf cuttings maturing.
By mo_carnivore
Posts:  527
Joined:  Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:20 pm
#345024
Nepenthes0260 wrote:Wow! Awesome dews! I would love to see pics of your S. American grow setup. My S.American dews are just with my helis currently, but I'm trying to make a setup just for them because I have lots of leaf cuttings maturing.
I actually grow my South American drosera in two areas. The villosa and solaris were both grown in a chest freezer setup, along with some of my more picky SA and other dews and my epiphytic utrics. I keep temps in the freezer at 73 daytime high and 57 nightly low, with humidity ranging from 60-100%. The others were from an area right next to the freezer, but without regulated temperatures. I'd say that they probably experienced daily highs in the high 70s to low 80s and nightly lows of around 60-70. Humidity is overall lower as well. They are growing with my pygmy sundews and some more miscellaneous dews. All of my SA species are under Marshydro 300w lights, around 12-15 inches away.

At the moment, I can't say that I see a difference between the growth of the SA dews that I have in the chest freezer vs the ones out in the open air. Both conditions seem to be working well for them. Essentially, don't waste money on an elaborate climate-controlled setup if you just want to grow a few South American drosera! :lol: I will say that I have never tested some of my rarer, less robust species (e.g. roraimae, grantsaui, some forms of latifolia) in open-air conditions, so I don't know how they would react to a less-controlled climate.
Chest Freezer.JPG
Chest Freezer.JPG (3.61 MiB) Viewed 524 times
Marshydro 2.JPG
Marshydro 2.JPG (2.88 MiB) Viewed 524 times
User avatar
By Nepenthes0260
Posts:  555
Joined:  Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:59 am
#345035
mo_carnivore wrote:
Nepenthes0260 wrote:Wow! Awesome dews! I would love to see pics of your S. American grow setup. My S.American dews are just with my helis currently, but I'm trying to make a setup just for them because I have lots of leaf cuttings maturing.
I actually grow my South American drosera in two areas. The villosa and solaris were both grown in a chest freezer setup, along with some of my more picky SA and other dews and my epiphytic utrics. I keep temps in the freezer at 73 daytime high and 57 nightly low, with humidity ranging from 60-100%. The others were from an area right next to the freezer, but without regulated temperatures. I'd say that they probably experienced daily highs in the high 70s to low 80s and nightly lows of around 60-70. Humidity is overall lower as well. They are growing with my pygmy sundews and some more miscellaneous dews. All of my SA species are under Marshydro 300w lights, around 12-15 inches away.

At the moment, I can't say that I see a difference between the growth of the SA dews that I have in the chest freezer vs the ones out in the open air. Both conditions seem to be working well for them. Essentially, don't waste money on an elaborate climate-controlled setup if you just want to grow a few South American drosera! :lol: I will say that I have never tested some of my rarer, less robust species (e.g. roraimae, grantsaui, some forms of latifolia) in open-air conditions, so I don't know how they would react to a less-controlled climate.
Chest Freezer.JPG
Marshydro 2.JPG
You grow your SA dews with your pygmies? Maybe I'm overdoing it by putting them with the helis :lol:. Thanks for the tips! I'm sure my collection of them is going to be expanding...
Plant markers

Great way to recycle old plastic if it suits. Cut […]

HungryCarnivores' Growlist

Nice grow list! You have some really awesome CPs

Basal shoot Helpp

I agree with sanguinearocks101 - there's a chance.[…]

Being the boss has to have some perks. :)

Hello From Central Illinois

awesome!!

Cephalotus Temps

Right on, thank you very much. Hard to gauge fa[…]

Thanks, all. I slip potted them today. It took tre[…]

Hey guys, need some help here.

Thanks man. I handled the "procedure" to[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!