FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By CarnivoresUnite
After enjoying and experiencing success with Drosera, I've decided to try my hand at some Sarr seeds.

S. Leucophyllia x Rubra ssp. gulfensis

I've been admiring from afar the wonderful pictures and think it's time to start planning for Spring.

I am just now beginning to read up on these gorgeous pitcher plants, and any words of wisdom from the experienced growers would be greatly appreciated. I would like to start ahead of the season and have another stand I am setting up for indoors with one shelf devoted to Sarrs.

Thanks in advance!
By CarnivoresUnite
xanthoparmelia wrote:Welcome to #TeamSarracenia. :)

Like with other plants, starting from seed requires patience, but can be most rewarding. What's the game plan for stratification and germination?
Woot! amd thanks fr the warm welcome..

I'm thinking cold stratification and an early start indoors ahead of the Spring, but that of course depends on whether that is a good idea. I have only tried Drosera seeds thus far. Do Sarrs fare well indoors to start? I have a good lighting system in place for my Drosera and can dedicate one shelf specifically for the seedlings until Spring. And a huge amount of peat moss..
By Shadowtski
FWIW, this Spring I tried stratifying half my Sarracenia seeds in water filled test tubes. I stratified the other half by rolling them up in damp paper towel in ziploc bags.
Both sets went into the refrigerator for 8 weeks.

The paper towel set germinated quicker and at a higher percentage than the water filled test tube group.

Just my 2¢ worth, your mileage may vary.
Shadowtski liked this
By xanthoparmelia
I use paper towels too, but you can also use damp peat or LFSM. Typical duration for strat is 4-8 weeks. I don't usually go past 30 days (i'm impatient), and still have high germination rates when seeds are fresh.

It's perfectly fine to keep seedlings indoors for up to two years before introducing them to the outdoors and dormancy.
xanthoparmelia liked this
By CarnivoresUnite
Cool! Thanks guys! Great information.

I will probably go the damp towel method. I am purchasing some Alata Tyler county TX and Stone County MS today to add to my collection. I have been reading and alata seems to bloom a little earlier than the leucos, so hopefully this summer I will have some nice color..
By CarnivoresUnite
xanthoparmelia wrote:'Tis the season for sarr seeds too, so keep your eyes on the FTC SB. I'll be donating some seeds and I believe some other members will be too. Nothing super fancy, but might be interesting to someone looking to add some variety.
Will definitely keep that in mind. I am already thinking about November. LOL
By CarnivoresUnite
Got the Leucos in cold stratification tonight following the good advice of my friends here, along with Alta Tyler County TX and Stone County, MS. And.. an oddity.. Scarlet Belle that was OP. Should be interesting..

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!