FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By optique
This will be my first winter (8a) with Drosera binata T form and Extrema. What would you guys recommend for winter letting it go dormant outside or a bright south or west facing in a sun room?

As another option I could let go dormant and move to a unheated building.
By Coco
I'm zone 9b and I just let my binatas go dormant outside, but that's just so I can have more space inside. If you choose the windowsill option, a bright south facing window is better. Just make sure to pop open the window at night.

If I recall correctly, D. binata 'Extrema' doesn't need a dormancy period where it can be grown all year round. You'll just have to bring it inside during winter.
By mo_carnivore
Extrema doesn't need any dormancy. I grow mine outside during the summer and under lights for the rest of the year.

I don't grow T-form, but I'm pretty sure that you can keep it in an unheated building for the winter in zone 8... not sure though.
By optique
Ok sounds good, the T form has been outside all year so I would just leave it out to go dormant over bringing it inside and opening a window.

I do have a clone I made in a 2in pot ill bring it in put it with my capes as a back up.
By optique
This T-form is from CPN I ordered "small red t-form" they say it gets 4-6 inches. well not even counting the stalk the leaves are already over 7 and are starting to get 3 points instead of a T. Its is not building a hibernicula like everything else.

Is this a larger form that can be kept inside for winter? just second guessing if i should bring it inside, the frost tonight is only 50miles away.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!