FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

User avatar
By DesertPat
Posts:  291
Joined:  Mon May 20, 2013 10:42 pm
#343227
If you are still curious about this, I am experimenting with these. I am only about a week into the testing so I don't know if the spectrum will be appropriate for CPs, however I have used them successfully for growing other types of plants.

Patrick

P.S. Whew, I finally got that hyperlink right the 5th try :lol:

Edit: I linked the wrong color spectrum light, it is correct now. 5000K lighting
Last edited by DesertPat on Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
By DesertPat
Posts:  291
Joined:  Mon May 20, 2013 10:42 pm
#343297
optique wrote:Is "full spectrum LED" even a thing? isn't each diode limited to 1 color?
Yes, as can be seen in LEDs like you may find in flashlights or the one I linked above. A single diode emits white light which is comprised of all colors through the visible spectrum. The question is if it is producing enough of the needed wavelengths for plants to photosynthesize effectively.

For what it's worth there are also monochromatic LED lights out there, a discussion for a different topic some other day.

Patrick
By mo_carnivore
Posts:  527
Joined:  Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:20 pm
#343325
DesertPat wrote:If you are still curious about this, I am experimenting with these. I am only about a week into the testing so I don't know if the spectrum will be appropriate for CPs, however I have used them successfully for growing other types of plants.

Patrick

P.S. Whew, I finally got that hyperlink right the 5th try :lol:
Wow, these look like a great option! Keep us posted on your results.
User avatar
By jpappy789
Location: 
Posts:  150
Joined:  Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:03 pm
#343338
I've had good experience with SANSI bulbs in clamp lights (instead of a daylight CFL)
https://www.amazon.com/SANSI-Daylight-S ... B07BRKG7X1

I actually just upgraded to the Yescom white LED panels. Haven't had them too long, but so far I would highly recommend
https://www.amazon.com/Yescom-Ultrathin ... B015YX8ZF4
jpappy789 liked this
By xanthoparmelia
Posts:  279
Joined:  Tue May 29, 2018 10:02 pm
#343441
jpappy789 wrote:I've had good experience with SANSI bulbs in clamp lights (instead of a daylight CFL)
https://www.amazon.com/SANSI-Daylight-S ... B07BRKG7X1

I actually just upgraded to the Yescom white LED panels. Haven't had them too long, but so far I would highly recommend
https://www.amazon.com/Yescom-Ultrathin ... B015YX8ZF4
These are both my go-to lights nowadays. I really like the SANSI bulbs but can only mount them overhead, due to the bulk of the clamp lights. Yescom panels are super-thin and are great for mounting under shelves.
By fadfffs
Posts:  10
Joined:  Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:46 pm
#344564
Every time I think I'm committed to buying a certain light, someone links to a different one and the search starts all over... Is the general consensus for a budget light to just put it as close to the plants as possible?
By DeanR
Posts:  10
Joined:  Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:36 am
#344601
I am a big fan of the white light LEDs... It's been a year or two since I've used them, but Spectrum King makes one of the highest quality products you will find. Little pricey, but it's made with quality materials and out performs the majority of the "full spectrum" LEDs

they have huge 6 + 400 watt LEDs as well as 100 and 140 watt LEDs, actual wattage used, no ba
By mcgrumpers
Posts:  212
Joined:  Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:39 am
#344662
I most recently started using LED strips. They are very efficient and have a reasonable spectrum for plants. They also distribute light more evenly than my other lights. This is my favorite light so far, but its downside is that only individual LED strips are for sale, so you have to put in the DIY work yourself (buy a power supply, hook up the wires, and build an assembly of some sort).
User avatar
By DesertPat
Posts:  291
Joined:  Mon May 20, 2013 10:42 pm
#344717
mcgrumpers wrote:I most recently started using LED strips. They are very efficient and have a reasonable spectrum for plants. They also distribute light more evenly than my other lights. This is my favorite light so far, but its downside is that only individual LED strips are for sale, so you have to put in the DIY work yourself (buy a power supply, hook up the wires, and build an assembly of some sort).
I am strongly considering this DIY. My lowes LED bulb experiment isn't performing to my expectations...leaves IMO don't seem to be getting the correct type of light based on growth observed. I'll try the 4:1 red blue strip lights and see how they perform.

Patrick
By mcgrumpers
Posts:  212
Joined:  Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:39 am
#344736
DesertPat wrote:
mcgrumpers wrote:I most recently started using LED strips. They are very efficient and have a reasonable spectrum for plants. They also distribute light more evenly than my other lights. This is my favorite light so far, but its downside is that only individual LED strips are for sale, so you have to put in the DIY work yourself (buy a power supply, hook up the wires, and build an assembly of some sort).
I am strongly considering this DIY. My lowes LED bulb experiment isn't performing to my expectations...leaves IMO don't seem to be getting the correct type of light based on growth observed. I'll try the 4:1 red blue strip lights and see how they perform.

Patrick
I'm using 3000k bridgelux EB strips. I also heard that samsung makes good strips as well... a little bit more efficient but more expensive than the EB strips. With either of these two options the initial cost will end up being more expensive than
a mars hydro 300, though they'll be a lot more efficient and will better fit your growing space. Definitely not for everyone. Happy to share more info on my build if it would be of any use.

If using other strips, make sure they have some sort of spec or get a PAR meter (also expensive) to make sure you're providing enough light.
User avatar
By jpappy789
Location: 
Posts:  150
Joined:  Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:03 pm
#344742
fadfffs wrote:Every time I think I'm committed to buying a certain light, someone links to a different one and the search starts all over... Is the general consensus for a budget light to just put it as close to the plants as possible?
Depends on the type of light. For some LEDs you can get pretty close without adverse effects since they put out noticeably less heat than fluorescent bulbs. Although as mentioned Nep leaves may show signs of "burning" since they aren't really high light plants. I have most all my dews/Pings about 6-8" away from my Yescoms now and they get a good red color, but any closer and I worry about heat and restricted airflow.
Mealybugs

Thanks for the help so far. I will try the alcohol[…]

mice in the garden, is it dangerous for plants? wh[…]

Looks like a S. Purpurea Venosa to me. Nice plants[…]

wonderful!!! I wish i had a Nepenthes in flower. I[…]

CEPHALOTUS CARESHEET

Update- Thanks for all the support! Added light, […]

I feel in a way, the "cabin fever" may[…]

Bog Garden Plant Giveaway

do you have any other plants left? i'm building […]

Request changed as per member request to reflect D[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!