FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

List the plants you grow

Moderator: Matt

By ValZ
I currently have one Dionea muscipula B52. It's not doing well though so sadly I'll probably have no carnivorous plants in near future. :cry:

Some day I'd like to have a JAWS VFT. JAWS is my favorite movie & sharks are my favorite animals.

UPDATE 10/4/2019 - My Dionea muscipula B52, Wonky Lou, didn't make it. I currently have no carnivorous plants & don't know if I'll ever get more.
Last edited by ValZ on Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By ilovedrosera
I will not stand for that! Please accept my healthier mix of a king Henry, a b52 or a werewolf spawn. Free of charge! Us fts members from nj gotta stand up for each other!
ilovedrosera liked this
By ValZ
ilovedrosera wrote:I will not stand for that! Please accept my healthier mix of a king Henry, a b52 or a werewolf spawn. Free of charge! Us fts members from nj gotta stand up for each other!
Thank you for the very kind & generous offer but I'm still hoping (praying?) I can do something to help my little B52, Wonky Lou, that I have now. I want to put all of my love & attention into helping him if I can. Thank you again!
By ilovedrosera
Is there anything that I could do to help you help him? That’s an adorable name that you picked.
ilovedrosera liked this
By ValZ
ilovedrosera wrote:Is there anything that I could do to help you help him? That’s an adorable name that you picked.
I'm still not sure if Wonky is going dormant or dying but I've decided to treat him like he's going dormant. Would it be okay if I PM'd you with any dormancy concerns I might have? That would be a big help & I'd really appreciate it. I'm glad you like his name! Since he was sort of wonky in his original container I thought the name suited him. Thank you!
By ilovedrosera
No! He didn’t make it!? I promise you that this will not be the end of your fts account and cp collection. I just recently received 6 specimen sized king Henry flytraps from a local nursery. They are tc and definitely kh’s and I really would like to give you one.
By ValZ
ilovedrosera wrote:No! He didn’t make it!? I promise you that this will not be the end of your fts account and cp collection. I just recently received 6 specimen sized king Henry flytraps from a local nursery. They are tc and definitely kh’s and I really would like to give you one.
When I checked on him the tips sticking out had turned black. My son helped me say goodbye. I didn't keep the container or the soil he was in. Then I cried.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what "tc & kh's" mean. I'm still not familiar with all the lingo. Thank you very much for your kind offer, ilovedrosera, but I'm clearly not good at being a plant parent. If I took you up on your offer I'm sure I'd just end up killing the King Henry you sent me. Our apartment doesn't have a good window for plants. We don't have space for a bank of grow lights. All we can manage is the one 6500K CF bulb. Plus the air in our apartment is extremely dry all year round and I'm not sure if such a dry environment is healthy for plants. I don't think I could handle losing another VFT. I'm still heartbroken over Wonky.

Thank you for all your help, patience & support. You're a great plant parent.
By ilovedrosera
Tc means tissue culture and kh here stands for king henry (the flytrap cultivar) I also have one last resort cp that you couldn’t kill even if you wanted to. That’s right, I grow weed, a.k.a drosera capensis. I have set them on fire, covered them in boiling water then stuck them in a freezer, hurled them at the ground and left them there for the entire winter, and left them bare-root on a table for a month. They are quite literally impossible to kill. I promise that you will not only not kill it, but that it will re-spark the cp enthusiasm that I saw in you when you first joined fts. Please just give them one last shot and I promise that you won’t regret it.
ilovedrosera liked this
By Coco
Sorry about Wonky Lou, ValZ. Growing a plant from a small glass bottle in a nutrient gel medium is tough as a first CP and losing one as well. I know I've had my fair share of losses. I hope this won't be the end of your carnivorous plant journey and that you'll get back into it again. Just no more plants from a small glass bottle (;
Coco liked this
By ValZ
ilovedrosera wrote:Tc means tissue culture and kh here stands for king henry (the flytrap cultivar) I also have one last resort cp that you couldn’t kill even if you wanted to. That’s right, I grow weed, a.k.a drosera capensis. I have set them on fire, covered them in boiling water then stuck them in a freezer, hurled them at the ground and left them there for the entire winter, and left them bare-root on a table for a month. They are quite literally impossible to kill. I promise that you will not only not kill it, but that it will re-spark the cp enthusiasm that I saw in you when you first joined fts. Please just give them one last shot and I promise that you won’t regret it.
I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner. I'm sure this is going to sound silly but I spent Friday crying off & on about losing Wonky Lou. I know it was just a plant but he was like a friend. On Saturday I had a family thing so I wasn't able to be on here & today we decorated for Halloween.

Thank you for the information. I was able to read about tissue cultures in the (wait for it...) Tissue Culture FAQ. Creating tissue cultures seem like it's a bit daunting. Okay, it sounds very daunting. It also sounded a little expensive. I'm both intrigued & terrified. I also looked up King Henry VFTs. They're gorgeous! I haven't read up on all of the VFT species yet as I was always focused on Wonky so other than the JAWS VFT I'm not familiar with most types. Considering your King Henrys are tissue cultures they must be very special which is why I'm going to respectfully decline your offer to send me one. If I killed such a special VFT I'd be wrecked. Thank you for the offer though. I have been thinking about your offer of the drosera capensis. (Are they actually weeds? Or are they just called a weed?) It does seem to be a pretty indestructible plant. (BTW, some day you'll have to tell me why you tested it under all of those conditions. I'm curious to learn more.) I must admit I am apprehensive about accepting your offer as I have absolutely no clue how to care for a capensis. Is there somewhere where I can find detailed (like really detailed) care instructions? Sort of like Capensis Care for Dummies? I don't know if you can tell but I'm still feeling very doubtful about my plant parenting skills.

Thank you again for everything!
By ValZ
Coco wrote:Sorry about Wonky Lou, ValZ. Growing a plant from a small glass bottle in a nutrient gel medium is tough as a first CP and losing one as well. I know I've had my fair share of losses. I hope this won't be the end of your carnivorous plant journey and that you'll get back into it again. Just no more plants from a small glass bottle (;
Thank you, Coco. Since I'm disabled I thought a VFT in a nice cozy little home would be a good idea. I loved watching Wonky grow in his little home. I had him for over a year so he was like a friend. I'm sorry you've lost plants yourself. I've always loved carnivorous plants. Having Wonky made me appreciate them even more. I'm just worried that I'm not cut out to be a carnivorous plant parent. I promise that I've learned my lesson. No more plants from glass bottles - ever. ^^

Thank you for your advice, patience & support!
By FluffyChinchilla
I know ilovedrosera and he’s begging me to tell you to accept his flytrap. I know it can be hard to lose a good plant friend, in fact, just about a month ago, I lost the crowned jewel of my collection. A pure-species seed grown nepenthes aristolochioides to toot rot, and not only did it make a dent in my heart, but I can promises you that it cost a pretty penny to acquire.
FluffyChinchilla liked this
By FluffyChinchilla
Capensis for dummies: just literally a windowsill and distilled water. If something eats it, digests it for two days, then craps it out, the crapped out leaf cuttings will regenerate into a new plant. This has been tested on chickens, squirrels, and pidgeons. Don’t ask why I know this.
FluffyChinchilla liked this
By ValZ
FluffyChinchilla wrote:I know ilovedrosera and he’s begging me to tell you to accept his flytrap. I know it can be hard to lose a good plant friend, in fact, just about a month ago, I lost the crowned jewel of my collection. A pure-species seed grown nepenthes aristolochioides to toot rot, and not only did it make a dent in my heart, but I can promises you that it cost a pretty penny to acquire.
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your nepenthes aristolochioides. I'm broken up over the loss of a common B52, I can't imagine how upsetting losing such a rare & amazing CP would be.
Hello, New to the forum

I wish! These are city slicker deer. No hunting […]

Introduction: In today's modern society, individua[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!