FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By DesertPat
If you are still curious about this, I am experimenting with these. I am only about a week into the testing so I don't know if the spectrum will be appropriate for CPs, however I have used them successfully for growing other types of plants.

Patrick

P.S. Whew, I finally got that hyperlink right the 5th try :lol:

Edit: I linked the wrong color spectrum light, it is correct now. 5000K lighting
Last edited by DesertPat on Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
By DesertPat
optique wrote:Is "full spectrum LED" even a thing? isn't each diode limited to 1 color?
Yes, as can be seen in LEDs like you may find in flashlights or the one I linked above. A single diode emits white light which is comprised of all colors through the visible spectrum. The question is if it is producing enough of the needed wavelengths for plants to photosynthesize effectively.

For what it's worth there are also monochromatic LED lights out there, a discussion for a different topic some other day.

Patrick
By mo_carnivore
DesertPat wrote:If you are still curious about this, I am experimenting with these. I am only about a week into the testing so I don't know if the spectrum will be appropriate for CPs, however I have used them successfully for growing other types of plants.

Patrick

P.S. Whew, I finally got that hyperlink right the 5th try :lol:
Wow, these look like a great option! Keep us posted on your results.
By jpappy789
I've had good experience with SANSI bulbs in clamp lights (instead of a daylight CFL)
https://www.amazon.com/SANSI-Daylight-S ... B07BRKG7X1

I actually just upgraded to the Yescom white LED panels. Haven't had them too long, but so far I would highly recommend
https://www.amazon.com/Yescom-Ultrathin ... B015YX8ZF4
jpappy789 liked this
By xanthoparmelia
jpappy789 wrote:I've had good experience with SANSI bulbs in clamp lights (instead of a daylight CFL)
https://www.amazon.com/SANSI-Daylight-S ... B07BRKG7X1

I actually just upgraded to the Yescom white LED panels. Haven't had them too long, but so far I would highly recommend
https://www.amazon.com/Yescom-Ultrathin ... B015YX8ZF4
These are both my go-to lights nowadays. I really like the SANSI bulbs but can only mount them overhead, due to the bulk of the clamp lights. Yescom panels are super-thin and are great for mounting under shelves.
By fadfffs
Every time I think I'm committed to buying a certain light, someone links to a different one and the search starts all over... Is the general consensus for a budget light to just put it as close to the plants as possible?
By DeanR
I am a big fan of the white light LEDs... It's been a year or two since I've used them, but Spectrum King makes one of the highest quality products you will find. Little pricey, but it's made with quality materials and out performs the majority of the "full spectrum" LEDs

they have huge 6 + 400 watt LEDs as well as 100 and 140 watt LEDs, actual wattage used, no ba
By mcgrumpers
I most recently started using LED strips. They are very efficient and have a reasonable spectrum for plants. They also distribute light more evenly than my other lights. This is my favorite light so far, but its downside is that only individual LED strips are for sale, so you have to put in the DIY work yourself (buy a power supply, hook up the wires, and build an assembly of some sort).
By DesertPat
mcgrumpers wrote:I most recently started using LED strips. They are very efficient and have a reasonable spectrum for plants. They also distribute light more evenly than my other lights. This is my favorite light so far, but its downside is that only individual LED strips are for sale, so you have to put in the DIY work yourself (buy a power supply, hook up the wires, and build an assembly of some sort).
I am strongly considering this DIY. My lowes LED bulb experiment isn't performing to my expectations...leaves IMO don't seem to be getting the correct type of light based on growth observed. I'll try the 4:1 red blue strip lights and see how they perform.

Patrick
By mcgrumpers
DesertPat wrote:
mcgrumpers wrote:I most recently started using LED strips. They are very efficient and have a reasonable spectrum for plants. They also distribute light more evenly than my other lights. This is my favorite light so far, but its downside is that only individual LED strips are for sale, so you have to put in the DIY work yourself (buy a power supply, hook up the wires, and build an assembly of some sort).
I am strongly considering this DIY. My lowes LED bulb experiment isn't performing to my expectations...leaves IMO don't seem to be getting the correct type of light based on growth observed. I'll try the 4:1 red blue strip lights and see how they perform.

Patrick
I'm using 3000k bridgelux EB strips. I also heard that samsung makes good strips as well... a little bit more efficient but more expensive than the EB strips. With either of these two options the initial cost will end up being more expensive than
a mars hydro 300, though they'll be a lot more efficient and will better fit your growing space. Definitely not for everyone. Happy to share more info on my build if it would be of any use.

If using other strips, make sure they have some sort of spec or get a PAR meter (also expensive) to make sure you're providing enough light.
By jpappy789
fadfffs wrote:Every time I think I'm committed to buying a certain light, someone links to a different one and the search starts all over... Is the general consensus for a budget light to just put it as close to the plants as possible?
Depends on the type of light. For some LEDs you can get pretty close without adverse effects since they put out noticeably less heat than fluorescent bulbs. Although as mentioned Nep leaves may show signs of "burning" since they aren't really high light plants. I have most all my dews/Pings about 6-8" away from my Yescoms now and they get a good red color, but any closer and I worry about heat and restricted airflow.
Hello, New to the forum

I wish! These are city slicker deer. No hunting […]

Introduction: In today's modern society, individua[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!