FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Natedawg
Looked like this for weeks...
Looked like this for weeks...
20190930_215146.jpg (838.92 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
I purchased 20 seeds from the FTS and received 23. 2 months later I have 10 sprouts, 4 seeds that developed mold quickly, and the 9 others have not sprouted. They are in a germination chamber at 80f, 16 hours of light, high humidity, real moist. I'm not sure if this is a good turnout? Three of them look great, with a bunch of little traps and apparently one is all red! The other 7 havent seemed to progress at all for a few weeks, please see the pics. I worried about these, they all seem pale. They are all in the same growing conditions. Since three of them look so good, I'm wondering what's up with the others. Thoughts?
Looks healthy to me
Looks healthy to me
20190930_215039.jpg (969.84 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
Looks all red to me?
Looks all red to me?
20190930_215004.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 1001 times
By Artchic528
Sometimes a seedling just isn't viable enough to thrive after being germinated, most likely from being dealt a bad hand in the genetics department. Survival of the fittest and all.

I'm far from an expert in growing from seeds, but I do know that it's incredibly rare to have the entire lot of seeds sown successfully germinate and fully grow into mature plants, regardless of the species. That's usually why plants produce more than one seed at a time, and why we usually sow multiple seeds when growing plants (and why Matt usually adds a few more seeds than the order was for).

Growing from plants from seeds are usually a dice throw as you don't know how many will have what it takes to grow into maturity, or how many seeds are viable to begin with (let alone what physical traits they'll show as adult plants). Matt's source of seeds are pretty high quality though, so you'll usually get more plants from the seeds than not.

Judging by the red seedling you have there, it might have some genetics similar other cultivars that are mostly a vibrant red in color, like Red Dragon or Carolina Red Traps.
Last edited by Artchic528 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By fadfffs
I don't have a ton of experience with carnivorous plant seeds, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Sometimes even fresh seeds don't seem to take for me. You might have just gotten an unlucky batch of seeds, and the 4 that molded probably didn't help the turn-out either... I'd just look at this as a reason to enjoy the ones that did grow even more.
Perlite from Ebay

this is the cheapest option i can find for perlite[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!