FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By jacobeth
I bought a VFT from a store in California last year (live in Utah). After I received it the plant (kept inside, I think in the same soil it was shipped in) did well and traps were large size. It ate like normal and there was nothing wrong. In late fall I put it into dormancy in my fridge. I kept it damp and made sure no mold formed. It kept it's green color the entire time. When spring came, I transferred it to a small pot with Sphagum Moss and a little bit of perlite. The few original leaves that lasted through dormancy died off and new babies started to form... a lot of them actually. Since then, the traps never got very big (currently big enough to catch a very small fly). New ones continued to form for a while. Just recently they all started to turn very light green and many have turned black. I tried to force-feed one of them, but it didnt close on it's own. Please help.
By ChefDean
Flytraps do much better outside, I had to learn this for myself the hard way.
I am also from Utah, SLC area, and I can tell you that Flytraps will be fine outside depending on which part of Utah you're in. Most of Utah sees triple digit temperatures every summer, and experiences very low humidity due to it being a desert. That can be detrimental to the plant, but can be worked through with a little diligent attention.
Put it outside where it will get good, direct morning sun, but is in the shade by about 1. The afternoon sun and high temps in summer will cook your plant. Keep it moist, not wet. You may have to water daily during the hot months. You can feed it if you want, but it should be able to catch it's own food outside.
If you're in the southern part, maybe from Parowan down, or in a lower elevation area, maybe invest in a small grow light and bring it in during the hot months. Flytraps can handle heat, but 115°F in St. George, with 5% to 10% relative humidity will fry them. Many will disagree with me on that, but they haven't experienced a Utah summer.
Good luck.
By Artchic528
The long answer short? You're growing them in a too small pot indoors. Flytraps are outdoor plants.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
By jacobeth
ChefDean wrote:Flytraps do much better outside, I had to learn this for myself the hard way.
I am also from Utah, SLC area, and I can tell you that Flytraps will be fine outside depending on which part of Utah you're in. Most of Utah sees triple digit temperatures every summer, and experiences very low humidity due to it being a desert. That can be detrimental to the plant, but can be worked through with a little diligent attention.
Put it outside where it will get good, direct morning sun, but is in the shade by about 1. The afternoon sun and high temps in summer will cook your plant. Keep it moist, not wet. You may have to water daily during the hot months. You can feed it if you want, but it should be able to catch it's own food outside.
If you're in the southern part, maybe from Parowan down, or in a lower elevation area, maybe invest in a small grow light and bring it in during the hot months. Flytraps can handle heat, but 115°F in St. George, with 5% to 10% relative humidity will fry them. Many will disagree with me on that, but they haven't experienced a Utah summer.
Good luck.
Thanks for the reply ChefDean. I live in Utah County. Same environment as you. I havent considered growing them outside, as I have always had success indoors with other VFTs and I'm afraid the freezing temps that come as soon as early October. They are up against a NW-facing window that gets afternoon sun, direct "line of sight" to blue skies, and are under a grow light (pics attached). Again, the same plant before dormancy, did great until after I pulled them out of the fridge. Then, they just never really took off. I think at this point they may be beyond revival. But, I will move them outdoors for a few days to see how they do.
IMG_20190928_193311.jpg
IMG_20190928_193311.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 2017 times
IMG_20190928_193201.jpg
IMG_20190928_193201.jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 2017 times
By Fieldofscreams
Growing outside is really the only way you are going to grow these plants long term.

They are temperate plants, they need to experience the changing of the seasons to survive long term, something you can't mimic indoors.

Utah is in hardiness zone 6/7, perfect for growing outside 9 months of the year.

I grow them outside 9 months of the year in zone 5a/b and they thrive.
By ChefDean
Fieldofscreams wrote:Growing outside is really the only way you are going to grow these plants long term.

They are temperate plants, they need to experience the changing of the seasons to survive long term, something you can't mimic indoors.

Utah is in hardiness zone 6/7, perfect for growing outside 9 months of the year.

^^^^ What he said.
Utah County (AKA Happy Valley) can still see the high temps, but you have a little bit higher humidity due to being close to the lake. I would definitely find a place outside, those traps look a bit light starved.
I would find a place outside today where they are in as much light as possible, all day, until you get a light freeze, then bring them into the fridge or an unheated garage for the winter.
In the Spring, when it no longer freezes at night, put them outside in full sun, all day. They will likely recover just fine, they're pretty tough. The only time I would worry about them is July and August. Then I would move them to a place with morning sun and afternoon shade, but still outside. Be sure to watch them, they will require more water being outdoors.
By jacobeth
Fieldofscreams wrote:Growing outside is really the only way you are going to grow these plants long term.

Do you keep them outside for dormancy?
By Fieldofscreams
I can't keep them outside during the winter months. I just put them in my garage where the temps hover between 30f and 45f or so.

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!