FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By aluriaphin
Hi there! I'm a newb but this didn't seem like a general care question. I've had my VFT for about two weeks, I believe it's doing well, but I noticed it started growing a trap that is pointing straight downward, staying sealed shut. The spines or teeth didn't seem to be developing at all besides little nubs, but in the past couple of days they have started curling outwards a little bit. What's up? Just a rogue malformed trap? Has anyone seen a leaf like this eventually mature healthily? Should I remove it so the plant stops wasting its energy? Thank you!

P.S. Sorry I can't figure out how to rotate the pic!
Attachments:
20190927_123842.jpg
20190927_123842.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 1714 times
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
I wouldn't worry about it. Leaves growing weirdly isn't an issue as long as it's only occasional. And even if it doesn't function, it will still act as a photosynthesizing leaf so let it be.
By Artchic528
Sometimes it's just a random fluke that causes this and nothing more. If the fluke repeats itself consistently, then either something is amiss, or it's a genetic mutation that might be undiscovered yet in any existing cultivar.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
By aluriaphin
Thank you both, I will keep the leaf and watch to see if any more develop that way. It would be cool to have stumbled upon a new cultivar! Since it seems to be making lots of healthy traps it seems like just a fluke though. :)
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!