FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Coco
SarraceniaLover319 wrote: I tried to grow a drosera regia last year, my climate was to hot for it though.
If you're willing to put in the time, effort and patience, this can be done. I came across a forum of someone in this community that successfully grew a D. regia over in Las Vegas :shock:

secretariat73-s-cps-t38464.html
By ilovedrosera
Good luck! Does anyone have any extra tuberous ‘dews? I reeeaaaally want one and have300 aldrovandas sittin’ In a tub lookin for homes.
Attachments:
Adoption fee: 1 tuberous ‘dew
Adoption fee: 1 tuberous ‘dew
image.jpg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 3486 times
By SundewWolf
I don't have any tuberous sundews, but I wanted to chime in on the regia. I tried and failed twice to grow regia, and the third time decided to just buy seeds since they were only $10 for 10. I now prefer this method because there is some slight variability among regia seedlings and I picked the two hardiest ones to transition to adult pots and grow into mature plants. They were all sprouted in a warm room and after a month two seedlings were double the size of the other 8 despite being fed the same amount and kept in the same pot. I did keep the rest of them for a while until they just died about 1 month later about a 1/2 inch leaves at the largest. For whatever reason the two regia I have now (2 years old) were not enough and I ordered another batch of seeds on eBay from a different grower. They just grow in my basement tossed under one Yescom blue & red panel. With any luck I will get more "easy growing" anomalies. If someones having trouble I recommend trying the seed route at least once before giving up on D. regia completely.
By Coco
SundewWolf wrote:I don't have any tuberous sundews, but I wanted to chime in on the regia. I tried and failed twice to grow regia, and the third time decided to just buy seeds since they were only $10 for 10. I now prefer this method because there is some slight variability among regia seedlings and I picked the two hardiest ones to transition to adult pots and grow into mature plants. They were all sprouted in a warm room and after a month two seedlings were double the size of the other 8 despite being fed the same amount and kept in the same pot. I did keep the rest of them for a while until they just died about 1 month later about a 1/2 inch leaves at the largest. For whatever reason the two regia I have now (2 years old) were not enough and I ordered another batch of seeds on eBay from a different grower. They just grow in my basement tossed under one Yescom blue & red panel. With any luck I will get more "easy growing" anomalies. If someones having trouble I recommend trying the seed route at least once before giving up on D. regia completely.
Hi, Liguus :D

I just want to say that you have amazing quality content on your videos which further sparked my interest in CP's :D And you now sparked my interest in trying the seed route. But it's a very interesting insight where I think it has to do with their genetics. You're able to choose and select the hardiest ones from the seedlings making them ideal plants to even clone. People that sells them via wholesale is a hit or miss where it's quantity over quality. I'll observe closely on how mine does from this one retailer, hopefully it's a hardy one.
By SundewWolf
Coco wrote:
SundewWolf wrote:I don't have any tuberous sundews, but I wanted to chime in on the regia. I tried and failed twice to grow regia, and the third time decided to just buy seeds since they were only $10 for 10. I now prefer this method because there is some slight variability among regia seedlings and I picked the two hardiest ones to transition to adult pots and grow into mature plants. They were all sprouted in a warm room and after a month two seedlings were double the size of the other 8 despite being fed the same amount and kept in the same pot. I did keep the rest of them for a while until they just died about 1 month later about a 1/2 inch leaves at the largest. For whatever reason the two regia I have now (2 years old) were not enough and I ordered another batch of seeds on eBay from a different grower. They just grow in my basement tossed under one Yescom blue & red panel. With any luck I will get more "easy growing" anomalies. If someones having trouble I recommend trying the seed route at least once before giving up on D. regia completely.
Hi, Liguus :D

I just want to say that you have amazing quality content on your videos which further sparked my interest in CP's :D And you now sparked my interest in trying the seed route. But it's a very interesting insight where I think it has to do with their genetics. You're able to choose and select the hardiest ones from the seedlings making them ideal plants to even clone. People that sells them via wholesale is a hit or miss where it's quantity over quality. I'll observe closely on how mine does from this one retailer, hopefully it's a hardy one.
Thanks. I feel like I could do more if I had a greenhouse which would let me grow and propagate plants faster, but I've the junky garage and patio that I have. I also usually recorded and edited on my iPhone 6 which now was turned to junk (the camera calibration device is broken and I can't record without the image shaking as if I had tremors in my hands). I thought I would get a new phone and a cheap $1K greenhouse but I applied for a promotion at work and didn't get it. Like a true egoist I denied their seasonal offer saying if there was no room to move up in this place then I'm leaving. So now I will be bumming around until further notice.

I do plan to cross the flowers on these hardier regia I have although they need to be older to bloom, and I'll have to look into what I can do to promote it. If I ever build that greenhouse I may start giving them a 45*F winter dormancy and then back into the basement under lights in the spring time. That being said, if I can clone the roots of these regia it will be the same hardy plant as the parent.

I also wondered if people baby their seedlings more than I do and then sell them all. That would make more business sense than my style of picking the best two seedlings but I can't speak for what other sellers are or aren't doing.
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!