FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Natedawg
If CP's don't rely on the media for nutrients, then why ever change it out? If there isn't any fungii or infestation of some kind, then why not just give it a good rinse every now and then? I mean, I don't go out in my landscaping and pull everything up for my other plants and they do just great. If the pot is large enough, could they stay in it indefinitely? I'm just curious since CP's don't rely on the soil for sustenance.
By mouthstofeed
I have had that question too. Allegedly, soil goes sour. It hasn't happened to me yet, so I have just let the plants be.
By Ping
I believe it's because it breaks down and eventually becomes anaerobic.
By Artchic528
As water flows through the media it awakens microbes that lay in suspended animation while the media was dry. These microbes then absorb oxygen in the media. As time goes on, these microbes multiply and their numbers grow exponentially. This renders the media anaerobic in a matter of several months. As the microbes multiply and absorb the oxygen, they will break down the media through decomposition, which releases a multitude of nutrients being released.

Thus, it's advisable to repot or change out the media annually or or every other year. I prefer annually and do so in early spring when the plants are just emerging from dormancy.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Supercazzola liked this
By Natedawg
Very interesting. Would utricularia slow the process? Not that I am too concerned about changing the media.
By Big-Jack
From what I understand in a natural bog the peat is soaking in a stagnant acidic water table keeping the peat in an almost sterile, preserved state.

In a small pot the acid gets flushed out over time allowing bacteria to start breaking down the peat into increasingly dense compost. It essentially converts into potting soil full of nutrients and microorganisms which VFT's can't tolerate.
By Fieldofscreams
Next spring will be the last time I repot annually. I'm going to do it every two years from then on.

I have my Ventrata nep in the same pot and soil for two years now, it's still growing like a weed.
By optique
I wouldn't use epiphytes to test what works for VFT's

just watch your plants, one day they will run out of gas. growth will slow then halt when re potting is needed. if your plants sit in water this day will be in 1st two years. If you top water with no trey this day could be 3-5 years away. I read sulfur tablets can slow this down by keeping PH lower, I have not tested.
By steve booth
Another consideration is that the medium looses its acidity as it is watered (unless it is in a relatively large bog with a Sphagnum cover) and over a couple of years tends towards a nutral PH. Once the acidity level drops this allows the medium to start decomposing and his releasing nutrients, which can be detrimental.
Cheers
Steve
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!