FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Sundews
Hi I have been growing carnivorous plants for almost a year now. And today I talked to a indoor plant grower who grew tomatoes with about 3inch thick stems. I told him about my sundews. I also told him that it hasn't rained here for a couple of weeks. So I haven't been able to collect ran water. I started using distilled water with only 6 tds. He told me that the tds is good but the ph starts raising in distilled water as soon as you open the container ,which means the acidity starts raising and eventually kills your plants. I don't know if this goes for carnivorous plants as well but I'm worried about taking any chances. Is acidity dangerous for carnivorous plants?
Last edited by Sundews on Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By DeadlyCarnivore
I am pretty sure most people on this forum use distilled water. Distilled water absorbs CO2 from the atmosphere as soon as it is exposed to air, so it can get slightly acidic but I don't think that it gets any worse over time. I use distilled water and I have not had any problems with it. I think the PH stays pretty balanced.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
By Sundews
Ok thanks good to know. unrelated question do you know why every time use the paste function on texted selection it puts don27 which is a old username I use on a different forum. it's also my real name. Do you know how to change that?. I'm using a kindle fire.
By DeadlyCarnivore
Sundews wrote:Ok thanks good to know. unrelated question do you know why every time use the paste function on texted selection it puts don27 which is a old username I use on a different forum. it's also my real name. Do you know how to change that?. I'm using a kindle fire.
Uhhhh, not sure... sorry

By Sundews
IMG_20190915_190501.jpg
IMG_20190915_190501.jpg (875.99 KiB) Viewed 2766 times
Ops I meant to post a pic of my plants not my feral chickens lol
By Sundews
DeadlyCarnivore wrote:
Sundews wrote:Ok thanks good to know. unrelated question do you know why every time use the paste function on texted selection it puts don27 which is a old username I use on a different forum. it's also my real name. Do you know how to change that?. I'm using a kindle fire.
Uhhhh, not sure... sorry

That's ok Iwill figure it out.
By steve booth
If distilled water does absorb atmospheric gasses and get more acidic, it will never get a very low PH in areas of general populous, and as a lot of my plants grow in 4.5- 6 PH, acidic water will not harm acidic loving plants in an acidic medium and may possibly be beneficial if your medium is losing its acidity.

Cheers
Steve
By salty
Distilled water or RODI will basically take on the ph of the media once it is poured in because it doesn’t have a buffering capacity of its own.
Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!