Venus Flytrap dormancy

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps
RhysKi

Re: Venus Flytrap dormancy

by RhysKi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:27 pm

Thanks! Here are a few pictures: Image & Image & Image & Image .

Keep in mind the sand is black and does have some "sparkly" bits in it. I think quartz... Anyway, you can kind of see how some are doing fine it seems while others are somewhat dying away... perhaps I'm overreacting, not sure.

RhysKi

by RhysKi » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:41 pm

Sorry, here's a link to the pictures on a temporary hidden page on one of my personal sites for reference if the ones above don't show up: https://sites.google.com/view/jessica-teeters/vfts

mutikasha

by mutikasha » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:11 pm

Black sand could point out to its volcanic origin (volcanic glass) and could easily leach minerals as it likes to dissolve. Possibly not bad as carbonate sand but not good either. Sparkly bits could be mica but these two dont commonly go together. Quadtz dous not sparkle. Not much anyway. Your problem thus can also be from excess mineralisation in water.

The following users would like to thank mutikasha for this post
Matt

stevelau1911

by stevelau1911 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:13 pm

My VFTs should be coming out of dormancy soon. The ones with high contrast reds, and tougher looking stems are dcxls while the ones that are more orange with lighter colored stems are the SD Kronos.

The ones kept in the refrigerator through the winter look completely green.

Here's the start on B52

LillyMaclean

by LillyMaclean » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:39 am

Hi, I live in NSW Australia and since we have winter during the months of June, July, and August I was wondering if those are the month I can put my plants through dormancy?

tommyr

by tommyr » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:54 am

LillyMaclean wrote:Hi, I live in NSW Australia and since we have winter during the months of June, July, and August I was wondering if those are the month I can put my plants through dormancy?

Yes indeed.

ferincr

by ferincr » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:08 pm

Hello all,
I started reading this thread today (i'm only in page 5) so I guess I'll find tons more useful info.

The reason I started reading it is because my VFT seedlings are growing very slow (if any) so it crossed my mind if they are getting all the requirements.

Since I'm another one that lives in a tropical country, although at some altitude so temps are not too high (upper 80's during the day and upper 60's at night) the daylight is what triggered my concern since daylight is around 12 hr all year round which makes me think if they may be live in a semi dormant period.

They are only few months old and about 1/4" diameter (less than 1/2" the bigger ones).

So I guess I'll start supplementing them with a few extra hours of artificial light to see if they grow any faster.

Now back to reading...
Fernando

Previous

Return to Venus Fly Trap Care Questions