FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By CarnivoresUnite
I purchased these seeds and just wondering.

Is the hot water and 10% bleach method needed, either for good or fast germination, or necessary for any germination?

I have heard this is the easiest Byblis seed to sprout, so all input is greatly appreciated.
By Nepenthes0260
I sprouted my B. liniflora seeds by just sprinkling them on peat and perlite. The bleach/hot water method is necessary for the other species, but my liniflora germinated fine without.
By CarnivoresUnite
Nepenthes0260 wrote:I sprouted my B. liniflora seeds by just sprinkling them on peat and perlite. The bleach/hot water method is necessary for the other species, but my liniflora germinated fine without.
Nice! I thought so after reading further. How many days on average do you recall for the sprouts?
By Nepenthes0260
CarnivoresUnite wrote:
Nepenthes0260 wrote:I sprouted my B. liniflora seeds by just sprinkling them on peat and perlite. The bleach/hot water method is necessary for the other species, but my liniflora germinated fine without.
Nice! I thought so after reading further. How many days on average do you recall for the sprouts?
They took two whole months to sprout. I got three seedlings to germinate out of about ten seeds (although some came smashed due to USPS :evil:). When they do sprout, they're fast little growers! Mine just germinated two weeks ago, but my biggest is already producing inch-long sticky leaves!
By CarnivoresUnite
Nepenthes0260 wrote:
CarnivoresUnite wrote:
They took two whole months to sprout. I got three seedlings to germinate out of about ten seeds (although some came smashed due to USPS :evil:). When they do sprout, they're fast little growers! Mine just germinated two weeks ago, but my biggest is already producing inch-long sticky leaves!
Okay cool. My seeds will be sent in a few days, so.. I may do just a few if they take that long so it won't be too cold and I can keep the rest in the fridge until next spring
By Fishman
Bleach and/or hot water is NOT neccessary to aid in the germination of ANY Byblis species. I do not reccomend using bleach on any of the seeds. We once thought this to help, but it makes no real noticeable difference and is not worth the hassle. Simply sow them and give it time. It can take anywhere from three days to two or three months, depending. If you want to use a little gibberellic acid, that would be the safest, most reliable method but even that is unnecessary really for sowing Byblis liniflora. I reccomend treating the perennial species, and a couple of the other annuals with GA3, but Byblis aquatica and liniflora do not neccesarily need it to germinate.
Fishman, Fishman liked this
By mcgrumpers
Fishman wrote:Bleach and/or hot water is NOT neccessary to aid in the germination of ANY Byblis species. I do not reccomend using bleach on any of the seeds. We once thought this to help, but it makes no real noticeable difference and is not worth the hassle. Simply sow them and give it time. It can take anywhere from three days to two or three months, depending. If you want to use a little gibberellic acid, that would be the safest, most reliable method but even that is unnecessary really for sowing Byblis liniflora. I reccomend treating the perennial species, and a couple of the other annuals with GA3, but Byblis aquatica and liniflora do not neccesarily need it to germinate.
For the perennial species, what concentration of GA3 do you recommend using and how long should the seeds soak for?

I treated byblia guehoi seeds in ~200 ppm GA3 for 48 hours about 1.5-2 months ago and am unsure if I did it properly. Still no sign of germination.

Another question: what media should byblis seeds be sown on?
By Fishman
mcgrumpers wrote:
Fishman wrote:Bleach and/or hot water is NOT neccessary to aid in the germination of ANY Byblis species. I do not reccomend using bleach on any of the seeds. We once thought this to help, but it makes no real noticeable difference and is not worth the hassle. Simply sow them and give it time. It can take anywhere from three days to two or three months, depending. If you want to use a little gibberellic acid, that would be the safest, most reliable method but even that is unnecessary really for sowing Byblis liniflora. I reccomend treating the perennial species, and a couple of the other annuals with GA3, but Byblis aquatica and liniflora do not neccesarily need it to germinate.
For the perennial species, what concentration of GA3 do you recommend using and how long should the seeds soak for?

I treated byblia guehoi seeds in ~200 ppm GA3 for 48 hours about 1.5-2 months ago and am unsure if I did it properly. Still no sign of germination.

Another question: what media should byblis seeds be sown on?
For perennial species, 600-1000 PPM for 120 HRS.
For annual species, 200-500 PPM for 24-36 HRS works nicely, and will yield positive results.

Those are the recorded ranges that I have tested at and they have all produced very nice results over the years.

My choice of medium can vary a little for the annuals, but usually I go with a 1:1 peat:sand or lfs:sand mix, they both work well. For perennial species I use a 3:2:1 perlite, lime-free sand, and peat moss mix.
By cryostasis
I for one been using 10% bleach to 90% distilled/rain water and soaking them for a few minutes roughly 15 to 30minutes sometimes I forget how long they have been soaked. Got good germinatioj within a week. Though you may want to rinse them after soaking them. I also tried smoking them but compared to bleach alot more seeds sprouted.

The first pic with germinated byblis shows a few but there are alot more on one single pot. Didnt even trust bleaching it because I remember they where almost all transparent and just threw them in a ppt hoping tonget some germination.

For the smoke I used twho cigs but really didnt more than 5 seeds germinated only did.ImageImage

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk
cryostasis liked this
By Fishman
Freshness of seed and how the seeds were stored or handled prior to sowing is the key with liniflora. Very easy to germinate these without any chemical usage if the conditions are favorable for them. Not saying they won't germinate without GA3, but it is the preferred treatment and is by far the safest method with all eight Byblis species, and it is not even a requirement with either Byblis liniflora or Byblis aquatica, although it may help speed up the process of germination and could increase the percentage of seeds germinated versus seeds sown. I use nothing more than GA3. Anything else is unnecessary really.
By CarnivoresUnite
Excellent. I appreciate all the great responses and feedback. I plan to sow these probably this weekend. They were very freshly harvested. I paid for them a week prior to the seed pod bursting and they were sent to me right afterwards. I wonder if the water germination method may work? I have enough seeds that it may in fact be worth trying one on..
By Fishman
Water germination is one thing I've never tried with liniflora, but I would imagine it would work. One thing that I tell people all the time is that there is no bleach in the wild. Byblis liniflora and aquatica grow in many places, and in some cases in the middle of ponds. The plants grow up, make seed and the seeds sink into the water and germinate, and eventually grow into adult plants. I have seen pictures of liniflora doing similar, although not quite like aquatica in a pond. I believe this gives evidence that water germination will work. Although it's not 100% water, I've had all eight Byblis species germinate in test tubes with GA3 before, so I would love to hear back on your results on using pure water. Best of luck!
Fishman liked this
By CarnivoresUnite
Fishman wrote:Water germination is one thing I've never tried with liniflora, but I would imagine it would work. One thing that I tell people all the time is that there is no bleach in the wild. Byblis liniflora and aquatica grow in many places, and in some cases in the middle of ponds. The plants grow up, make seed and the seeds sink into the water and germinate, and eventually grow into adult plants. I have seen pictures of liniflora doing similar, although not quite like aquatica in a pond. I believe this gives evidence that water germination will work. Although it's not 100% water, I've had all eight Byblis species germinate in test tubes with GA3 before, so I would love to hear back on your results on using pure water. Best of luck!
Fantastic! That is great news to hear. Yes, I will update. I plan on attempting water germination with 2 or 3 seeds soon, and have a long term observation area if the water germination takes some time. Pictures of my success I hope will follow before too long.
By cryostasis
Hi for GA3 mixture what would be the correct mg for a 1 liter of water? Ordered some GA3 in liquid form and will try to use to to see if I can germinate other byblis other than Liniflora. And how long do you soak them in the formula?

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
By Fishman
Hope the chart helps. Liniflora doesn't necessarily need a treatment, but a GA3 soak can possibly speed up the germination process. Try a 200-300 PPM solution for 24 hours, and then sow the seeds immediately afterwards. The same ratio will work for any of the annual species.
Attachments:
20190908_083230.jpg
20190908_083230.jpg (174.78 KiB) Viewed 8058 times

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!