FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By kato_stud25
I'm looking for some sundews to grow that wrap around the insects when it catches them. I'd like to know which plants have the most movement in wrapping up there prey. I know Cape sundew plants do and I've heard a few others do that also. Could you guys chime in and let me know which ones do this and what are some cool ones to have
Last edited by kato_stud25 on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Shadowtski
Drosera capensis is a large and very easy to grow Sundew.
It has my vote for #1.

Drosera regia can tie itself in knots around prey but it is expensive and not a beginner's plant.

There are several Sundews that are native to Minnesota. They are Drosera rotundifolia, the Round Leaf Sundew and D. intermedia. You could grow them outside year-round although they are not as easy to grow as Cape Sundews. their leaves wrap around captured bugs nicely.

There are a large variety of Sub-Tropical Sundews that wrap around prey. They vary in cost and availability. D. spatulata has many varieties and is a beginner plant. D. aliciae, D. natalensis, D. venusta are all active plants that are pretty common.

Drosera burmannii has fast acting tentacles and leaves but it is an Annual. It grows one year, more or less, flowers, sets seed and dies.

Another good website for Sundew information is: http://www.growsundews.com .
By CarnivoresUnite
Huntsmanshorn wrote:I've read that Drosera x hybrida will do the wrap around. I've tried growing it several times but it always rots on me in the spring.
Really? Curious if those are from cuttings or from seeds originally? I have some Hybrida seeds I picked up that are from a reliable source of a self fertile Hybrida and just wondering. Going through cold stratification right now.
By Huntsmanshorn
They were from cuttings I'm sure. I don't remember the vendor for certain but it was probably the one in Junction City, Oregon that starts with a "C". I never tried (yet) the supposedly self fertile hybrida, only the "regular" type from New Jersey.

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!