FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By FoXTro
Today I went outside to check on them and saw this. So sprout or division?
Attachments:
7B8ACF6B-98DC-48ED-939F-DAD1A387DCFB.jpeg
7B8ACF6B-98DC-48ED-939F-DAD1A387DCFB.jpeg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 3863 times
By FlyTrap Hunter
From the picture, it just looks like normal new growth. If it's new growth on the outside, where the old traps normally die, it could be a division. New growth normally comes from the middle on a regular fly trap
If it's a division, it will pop up like a tiny Venus Fly Trap. You will know it.
By FoXTro
Ok update, it wasn't a division, it was a sprout that was twisted like that. It will bounce up soon.
By ChefDean
I see you already figured it out, but this is a mother plant with divisions. See the smaller trap off to the right? (I'm quite proud as this is my first VFT to divide)
Picture_20194311094353.jpg
Picture_20194311094353.jpg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 3778 times
Closer up. Orange is new growth from the mother. Blue and white are divisions.
20190811_094521.jpg
20190811_094521.jpg (3.69 MiB) Viewed 3778 times
There is at least one more division on this plant, maybe more, they're just hidden under and behind all the other leaves.
By FoXTro
ChefDean wrote:I see you already figured it out, but this is a mother plant with divisions. See the smaller trap off to the right? (I'm quite proud as this is my first VFT to divide)
Picture_20194311094353.jpg
Closer up. Orange is new growth from the mother. Blue and white are divisions.
20190811_094521.jpg
There is at least one more division on this plant, maybe more, they're just hidden under and behind all the other leaves.
Oh cool! Do they divide after dormancy, or just random?
By ChefDean
FoXTro wrote:Oh cool! Do they divide after dormancy, or just random?
I'm not sure. This is my second try with VFT's, my first try failed due to my ignorance and inexperience with them. However, in this case, this is a typical VFT from the hardware store. It was a single plant when I bought it in the Spring, and I didn't really notice the divisions until about 3 weeks ago, so well outside of dormancy.
I have a second VFT that my wife bought me, and it appears to me that it may be in the process of dividing. I'm not sure as the leaves are almost as big as the mother plants leaves, but there's definitely a second layer of leaves on one side of the plant rather than just a single layer rosette from the central growth point.
By FoXTro
ChefDean wrote:
I'm not sure. This is my second try with VFT's, my first try failed due to my ignorance and inexperience with them. However, in this case, this is a typical VFT from the hardware store. It was a single plant when I bought it in the Spring, and I didn't really notice the divisions until about 3 weeks ago, so well outside of dormancy.
I have a second VFT that my wife bought me, and it appears to me that it may be in the process of dividing. I'm not sure as the leaves are almost as big as the mother plants leaves, but there's definitely a second layer of leaves on one side of the plant rather than just a single layer rosette from the central growth point.
Oh okay, I have two plants, one Pinnacle and just a regular one that has 3 flytraps in one pot. My last one started to divided, but it didn't make it cause I grew them wrong. So my new ones are outside and heathy, just had them for a month.
By FlyTrap Hunter
FoXTro wrote:
ChefDean wrote:
Oh okay, I have two plants, one Pinnacle and just a regular one that has 3 flytraps in one pot. My last one started to divided, but it didn't make it cause I grew them wrong. So my new ones are outside and heathy, just had them for a month.
You will enjoy your Pinnacle. It seems to change all year long.
I think fly traps divide mostly in the Summer. But seem to divide all year round. I think stress will cause the fly trap to divide more, re: if it dries out. Or if you just have a small chunk of rhizome. Stick the white chunk in the soil near the top and wait. I got 6 divisions out of a King Henry rhizome. When I was repotting, I found a extra piece of rhizome on the plant that easily broke off. It had a little root.
By Klikmaus
They divide whenever the "feel up to it", in my experience. I purchased 2 from Lowes last year, by new years one of them started an offshoot which I left with the mother plant through early spring. At some point this last Feburary, it had started another offshoot and the other plant had also made an offshoot. I repotted all five plants separately, the mother plant that made 2 replications over winter has made ANOTHER rhizome within the last month!
So, my experience is they replicate throughout the year, it may be more linked to how healthy & well-fed they are than what time of year it is. I would assume this is due to how much energy & nutrients they have in reserve to expend on reproduction.
By FoXTro
Klikmaus wrote:They divide whenever the "feel up to it", in my experience. I purchased 2 from Lowes last year, by new years one of them started an offshoot which I left with the mother plant through early spring. At some point this last Feburary, it had started another offshoot and the other plant had also made an offshoot. I repotted all five plants separately, the mother plant that made 2 replications over winter has made ANOTHER rhizome within the last month!
So, my experience is they replicate throughout the year, it may be more linked to how healthy & well-fed they are than what time of year it is. I would assume this is due to how much energy & nutrients they have in reserve to expend on reproduction.
Alright, thanks for the reply. I think next year they should start to divide, but right now their doing great.
By FlyTrap Hunter
Klikmaus wrote:They divide whenever the "feel up to it", in my experience. I purchased 2 from Lowes last year, by new years one of them started an offshoot which I left with the mother plant through early spring. At some point this last Feburary, it had started another offshoot and the other plant had also made an offshoot. I repotted all five plants separately, the mother plant that made 2 replications over winter has made ANOTHER rhizome within the last month!
Yes. But some fly traps are naturally aggressive dividers. Typicals are usually that way.
I got a sawtooth x Parahna and a bz1955 at the same time. After 3 years, my bz1955 is just now dividing while my sawtooth x Parahna has made 100 divisions. It's also genetics, not just timing.
Heat stress or drying out and stressed will cause fly traps to divide.
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!