FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Secretariat73
With things growing and stirring outside, I thought I would post a couple pictures from the collection. A substantial portion of the collection was acquired while the plants were in dormancy to minimize shipping and acclimation stress, so it is really exciting to see them go into active growth! :D

Happy growing, everyone!
My Walmart "Typical"... the plant that started it all.  :)
My Walmart "Typical"... the plant that started it all. :)
IMG_2226.JPG (2.39 MiB) Viewed 5096 times
DC XL.  The first of many flytraps purchased from FTS.  With all the new growth, I didn't recognize the plant at first earlier this spring.  Traps are much bigger than last year.  :)
DC XL. The first of many flytraps purchased from FTS. With all the new growth, I didn't recognize the plant at first earlier this spring. Traps are much bigger than last year. :)
IMG_2225.JPG (2.63 MiB) Viewed 5096 times
The "full sun" portion of the VFT collection.  They started sitting in about an inch of water beginning 2-3 weeks ago.  No more room on the table, so new additions are being kept in the "morning sun" area, where they will stay since that is probably where all the flytraps will go when temperatures begin hitting 100F.  I have also discovered that LFSM stays moist better for me in smaller cups.  So, the flytraps that were in 20oz styrofoam cups have been downsized.
The "full sun" portion of the VFT collection. They started sitting in about an inch of water beginning 2-3 weeks ago. No more room on the table, so new additions are being kept in the "morning sun" area, where they will stay since that is probably where all the flytraps will go when temperatures begin hitting 100F. I have also discovered that LFSM stays moist better for me in smaller cups. So, the flytraps that were in 20oz styrofoam cups have been downsized.
IMG_2228.JPG (2.82 MiB) Viewed 5096 times
VFT "Grun" trying to eat a fairy
VFT "Grun" trying to eat a fairy
IMG_2106.JPG (2.03 MiB) Viewed 5096 times
D. filiformis "Dreamsicle".  About to flower.
D. filiformis "Dreamsicle". About to flower.
IMG_1833.JPG (2.68 MiB) Viewed 5096 times
D. filiformis var tracyi.  The slowest of the filiformis to wake up but the most resilient during strong winds.  This one never loses much dew.  We'll see how it does this Wednesday when the 60 mph gusts arrive.
D. filiformis var tracyi. The slowest of the filiformis to wake up but the most resilient during strong winds. This one never loses much dew. We'll see how it does this Wednesday when the 60 mph gusts arrive.
IMG_2075.JPG (2.19 MiB) Viewed 5096 times
D. filiformis var filiformis (red hybrid) waking up for the season.  All the filiformis (except my "Florida Red" youngster) are growing in 3-gallon white Ikea wastebaskets.  Best $0.79 planters ever!  :)
D. filiformis var filiformis (red hybrid) waking up for the season. All the filiformis (except my "Florida Red" youngster) are growing in 3-gallon white Ikea wastebaskets. Best $0.79 planters ever! :)
IMG_2077.JPG (2.43 MiB) Viewed 5096 times
S. x "Carolina Yellow Jacket" sending out new pitchers.
S. x "Carolina Yellow Jacket" sending out new pitchers.
IMG_1929.JPG (2.45 MiB) Viewed 5096 times
S. purpurea ssp venosa (Tattnall Co., GA) sending out tons of new pitchers
S. purpurea ssp venosa (Tattnall Co., GA) sending out tons of new pitchers
IMG_2161.JPG (2.18 MiB) Viewed 5096 times
"Leah Wilkerson" sending up her first pitcher of the year.  This one already measures about 24"!
"Leah Wilkerson" sending up her first pitcher of the year. This one already measures about 24"!
IMG_2212.JPG (2.86 MiB) Viewed 5096 times
"Judith Hindle" flowering.
"Judith Hindle" flowering.
IMG_2208.JPG (2.63 MiB) Viewed 5096 times
"Full sun" table top collection.  The "morning sun" area is just behind the patio furniture.  Birds regularly drink and steal food from the pitchers of the S. rosea at the bottom left.
"Full sun" table top collection. The "morning sun" area is just behind the patio furniture. Birds regularly drink and steal food from the pitchers of the S. rosea at the bottom left.
IMG_2222.JPG (3.04 MiB) Viewed 5096 times
P. "Aphrodite" chilling outside in the "morning sun" area while the weather is still mild.
P. "Aphrodite" chilling outside in the "morning sun" area while the weather is still mild.
IMG_1946.JPG (2.37 MiB) Viewed 5096 times
D. capensis "Typical" sending out a flower stalk.  The capensis have done surprisingly well in dry windy conditions for me.  But they drink a lot of water on those days!
D. capensis "Typical" sending out a flower stalk. The capensis have done surprisingly well in dry windy conditions for me. But they drink a lot of water on those days!
IMG_2085.JPG (2.47 MiB) Viewed 5096 times
Stylidium debile ("Trigger Plant") about to send up an inflourescence.
Stylidium debile ("Trigger Plant") about to send up an inflourescence.
IMG_2189.JPG (2.55 MiB) Viewed 5096 times
By tommyr
VERY nice collection!
tommyr liked this
By Secretariat73
Las Vegas weather has been crazy lately. It is not unusual to see occasional snow flurries, but the recent snow storms here in the desert have been quite an experience.
20190221_073717.jpg
20190221_073717.jpg (3.93 MiB) Viewed 4895 times
20190221_073253.jpg
20190221_073253.jpg (3.1 MiB) Viewed 4895 times
Very magical to see sights like this... at least for a desert dweller like me. :)

Bad weather like this tends to magnify as it crosses the rest of the States. Be careful out there, everyone!
By Secretariat73
This is such a beautiful time of the year with so much stirring, sprouting, and blooming. Went through tons of repotting this spring that resulted in many plants moving into new permanent growing containers, and the plants have responded with fantastic growth to start the season. Thought I'd share some pictures taken during the last few weeks. :D
"Leah Wilkerson" - One of my younger Leah divisions with S. purp venosa flowers smiling in the background.
"Leah Wilkerson" - One of my younger Leah divisions with S. purp venosa flowers smiling in the background.
IMG_6869.JPG (1.93 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
S. montana growing a new flush of pitchers
S. montana growing a new flush of pitchers
IMG_6852.JPG (2.39 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
"AJ01"
"AJ01"
IMG_6847.JPG (2.14 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
"Judith Hindle" - Freshly popped pitcher smiling for the camera
"Judith Hindle" - Freshly popped pitcher smiling for the camera
IMG_6844.JPG (2.14 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
"Dana's Delight" surrounded by its flowers
"Dana's Delight" surrounded by its flowers
IMG_6831.JPG (2.07 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
A leucophylla with pitchers about to pop
A leucophylla with pitchers about to pop
IMG_6554.JPG (1.98 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
"Schnell's Ghost" flowers
"Schnell's Ghost" flowers
IMG_6435.JPG (1.71 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
"Leah Wilkerson" x "Judith Hindle" seed germination!  Some of my "AJ01" and S. purp venosa (Tattnall Co., GA) seeds have germinated as well!
"Leah Wilkerson" x "Judith Hindle" seed germination! Some of my "AJ01" and S. purp venosa (Tattnall Co., GA) seeds have germinated as well!
IMG_6691.JPG (2.85 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
"Sawtooth x Piranha" - By far my most vigorous multiplier last season
"Sawtooth x Piranha" - By far my most vigorous multiplier last season
IMG_6589.JPG (2.19 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
"B52"
"B52"
IMG_6577.JPG (2.61 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
"Grun"
"Grun"
IMG_6573.JPG (2.37 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
"Megatraps"
"Megatraps"
IMG_6566.JPG (2.28 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
"Maroon Monster" - Aphids have been loving this plant so far, but Neem oil has been holding them at bay.  Purple coloration, hot sun, and Neem oil has not been a great combination for the Monster so far, but the plant is perking up again.
"Maroon Monster" - Aphids have been loving this plant so far, but Neem oil has been holding them at bay. Purple coloration, hot sun, and Neem oil has not been a great combination for the Monster so far, but the plant is perking up again.
IMG_6565.JPG (2.27 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
"DC XL" - This plantlet from last season's flower stalk cutting is a legitimate starter-sized plant now!  :)
"DC XL" - This plantlet from last season's flower stalk cutting is a legitimate starter-sized plant now! :)
IMG_6580.JPG (2.02 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
"Flaming Lips" - Another one of last season's flower stalk cuttings
"Flaming Lips" - Another one of last season's flower stalk cuttings
IMG_6655.JPG (2.26 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
The flytrap collection has now overtaken the entire table.
The flytrap collection has now overtaken the entire table.
IMG_6823.JPG (3.18 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
Filiformis "Florida All-Red" feasting
Filiformis "Florida All-Red" feasting
IMG_6535.JPG (2.41 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
Filiformis "Dreamsicle" covered with bugs
Filiformis "Dreamsicle" covered with bugs
IMG_6540.JPG (2.58 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
Pinguicula Aphrodite enjoying the view from a window sill.
Pinguicula Aphrodite enjoying the view from a window sill.
IMG_6285.JPG (1.88 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
Drosera regia - The latest addition to my indoor collection.  Given my growing conditions, this is not likely to end well, but I just had to try.  Since this photo was taken, the new leaf in the pic has unfurled, and the plant has put on a lot more dew.  It is also sending up a second new leaf.  :)
Drosera regia - The latest addition to my indoor collection. Given my growing conditions, this is not likely to end well, but I just had to try. Since this photo was taken, the new leaf in the pic has unfurled, and the plant has put on a lot more dew. It is also sending up a second new leaf. :)
IMG_6221.JPG (2.64 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
The current outdoor collection (which is about to reach its limits once the flower stalk nursery at the bottom right hits full stride!)
The current outdoor collection (which is about to reach its limits once the flower stalk nursery at the bottom right hits full stride!)
IMG_6781.JPG (3.22 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
The outdoor collection
The outdoor collection
IMG_6878.JPG (3.43 MiB) Viewed 4777 times
Secretariat73 liked this
By Secretariat73
Fieldofscreams wrote:Very very nice.

Where did you get the solid white trays?
Those came from Amazon. Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O ... UTF8&psc=1

Not the cheapest out there, but the extra cost was worth it. I purchased 2 24" white planter boxes from Lowes last year on clearance for $7 each (not pictured). The cheap plastic on the Lowes boxes have already turned brittle and begun to crack while the more expensive Amazon ones are still going strong despite the abuse and desert sun.
By Secretariat73
Afternoon temps are hovering between 105F - 110F, but don't tell that to my plants! The sarracenia have decided it is prime time to start sending up their fall flush of pitchers. Even the flavas are joining the show. Overall, I consider this a "cool" Las Vegas summer so far because temps have not yet reached 115F. :D
Dana's Delight
Dana's Delight
IMG_7586.JPG (2.04 MiB) Viewed 4510 times
"Adrian Slack" coloring up
"Adrian Slack" coloring up
IMG_7577.JPG (1.92 MiB) Viewed 4510 times
"Adrian Slack" has a beautiful hood!
"Adrian Slack" has a beautiful hood!
IMG_7578.JPG (2.19 MiB) Viewed 4510 times
S. x mitchelliana has produced a monsterous fall pitcher!
S. x mitchelliana has produced a monsterous fall pitcher!
IMG_7588.JPG (2.11 MiB) Viewed 4510 times
S. leucophylla var alba ("Rod's Favorite" x "Dipped Lip") pitcher about to pop.
S. leucophylla var alba ("Rod's Favorite" x "Dipped Lip") pitcher about to pop.
IMG_7592.JPG (1.81 MiB) Viewed 4510 times
S. minor var okefenokeensis
S. minor var okefenokeensis
IMG_7603.JPG (1.95 MiB) Viewed 4510 times
Freshly popped "Leah Wilkerson" pitcher
Freshly popped "Leah Wilkerson" pitcher
IMG_7606.JPG (1.99 MiB) Viewed 4510 times
D. filiformis "Dreamsicle" going bonkers.  This pot started out with only 3 or 4 hibernacula.
D. filiformis "Dreamsicle" going bonkers. This pot started out with only 3 or 4 hibernacula.
IMG_7615.JPG (3.44 MiB) Viewed 4510 times
D. filiformis "Florida Red" grown from seed obtained from the Seed Bank.
D. filiformis "Florida Red" grown from seed obtained from the Seed Bank.
IMG_7619.JPG (2.6 MiB) Viewed 4510 times
D. x "Southern Cross" - This small filiformis hybrid with a very short growing season actually curls its leaves around prey!
D. x "Southern Cross" - This small filiformis hybrid with a very short growing season actually curls its leaves around prey!
IMG_7620.JPG (2.74 MiB) Viewed 4510 times
By Secretariat73
Can Drosera regia be successfully grown in the extreme desert climate of Las Vegas?

Part 1

I have wanted to try Drosera regia ever since I started growing CPs in 2017 but hesitated due to its culture requirements. Las Vegas is as hot and dry as locales go, and I didn’t want to deal with a fragile plant that would require a lot of special handling. A window sill or my outside growing area were the only options.

This year, I caved to temptation and decided to experiment with regia knowing the odds were stacked against the plant’s long-term survival. My goal was to have the plant survive a Las Vegas summer with a minimum of special treatment. So, a young regia joined my collection in April. Its largest leaf was 4 inches long. It had 3 roots… none of which exceeded an inch or so in length.
The new arrival.
The new arrival.
IMG_6222.JPG (2.3 MiB) Viewed 4323 times
D. regia settling in 3 weeks after its arrival.
D. regia settling in 3 weeks after its arrival.
IMG_6888.JPG (3.43 MiB) Viewed 4323 times
Because the regia would need to sit in water during the day to ensure it didn't dry out while I was at work, it was placed in a much larger, deeper container about a month after its arrival. The plant would eventually sit in 0.25 - 0.75 inches of water throughout the summer.
D. regia was repotted 1 month after its arrival.
D. regia was repotted 1 month after its arrival.
IMG_7300.JPG (2.42 MiB) Viewed 4323 times
Regia spent lots of time outdoors during the spring, but once outside temps hit about 90F, the window sill of an upstairs room became its home. The plant received afternoon sun in a southwestern window and sent out leaf after leaf until outside temps reached 100F. At that point, dew production began to stall. (Note: This room is not cooled during the summer, and the room’s ambient afternoon temp hovers around 95F - 100F during the height of summer. Humidity is around 17% year-round.)

The regia was moved to a morning sun location in a southeastern window in the same room. It tolerated this new location at first, but dew production once again slowed as summer temps continued to ratchet upwards, and at 105F, I had no choice but to give the plant the cool nights it prefers by sticking it in the family fridge during the overnight hours, especially since the ambient overnight temp in its room rarely fell below 82F. This worked until 110F hit....
D. regia getting its beauty sleep.
D. regia getting its beauty sleep.
20190916_124027.jpg (3.07 MiB) Viewed 4323 times
By Secretariat73
Can Drosera regia be successfully grown in the extreme desert climate of Las Vegas?

Part 2

The sulking regia was relocated to a northeastern window in the kitchen (where summer afternoon ambient room temp hovers between 83F-89F). The plant continued spending its evenings in the fridge but received only an hour of direct morning sun that varied from partial to full exposure. During the rest of the day, this location remains moderately shady. Despite the very limited sunlight, the regia seems happiest in this location, where it continues to reside with my pings.
D. regia recovering shortly after finding a new home in the kitchen.  The morning sun it receives in the kitchen is very similar to what is shown here.
D. regia recovering shortly after finding a new home in the kitchen. The morning sun it receives in the kitchen is very similar to what is shown here.
IMG_7683.JPG (1.91 MiB) Viewed 4320 times
With temps now trending downward, the plant has never been happier. It has proven to be another vigorous grower for me, readily sending up one leaf after another despite its growing conditions. Several roots have grown through the bottom of the container. Regia is fed heavily with crumbled freeze-dried bloodworms along with the occasional bug (this one loves to eat!). When daytime highs top out around 90F, I will reintroduce the plant to the great outdoors, where it will remain until near-freezing temps arrive.
I love how crazy regia can get when wrapping itself around "prey"!
I love how crazy regia can get when wrapping itself around "prey"!
IMG_7528.JPG (1.75 MiB) Viewed 4320 times
By Secretariat73

Part 3

It certainly appears D. regia can handle the desert southwest with a minimum of fuss as long as sufficient overnight cooling is provided during the hottest months. A larger temperature drop during the cooling period seems to help regia deal with extreme heat during the day (the fridge is set at 55F).

The plant does not appear to be significantly affected by low humidity. It has continued to grow vigorously and produces ample dew. In my growing conditions, growth and dew production appear to correlate more to temperature and/or sunlight exposure than to humidity.

In Las Vegas, regia's temperature ceiling for window sill culture in a room that is not climate controlled appears to be reached when outside temps approach 110F. (I never tested the temperature at the window sill on such days, but it was certainly higher than the 95F - 100F the thermostat in the corridor was showing.) At that point, the plant needs to be placed in a cooler room. Regia does not appear to want lots of sunlight exposure when temps soar. In fact, when summer temps exceed 95F, I strongly suspect it would do fine in only moderate to bright shade in my growing conditions. D. regia has proven to be much more resilient than I thought it would be.
D. regia sharing a kitchen window with pings this morning.
D. regia sharing a kitchen window with pings this morning.
regia_20190917_092444.jpg (3.42 MiB) Viewed 4317 times
With summer waning, the remainder of the year should be a breeze for regia to handle. Next year, it will spend the entire summer back in the kitchen. No more heat tolerance experiments. Looks like this story might have a happy ending after all. :)

(Sorry about the 3-part post. For some reason, the system would not allow me to submit this as a single post.)
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!