FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By RubberToe
It's been a good long while since I posted here last, mainly because I was distraught, I guess, after the very plants that I posted care questions about died no matter what I tried. Well, after I saw two VFTs in a plant store I decided, what the heck, I'll try again. I have two flytraps that seem to be doing somewhat well as far as I know, no sign of stress and this time I actually followed proper VFT care instructions rather than what they say at the store. They both live in their own 6-8 inch pot (I haven't measured it yet) and have been properly planted in New Zealand Spaghnum moss with some perlite sprinkled in and mixed. I've come back and I'm probably going to stay for a good bit so I can do it right this time after many failed attempts and finally grow a (maybe two) healthy Venus Flytrap that will live as long as they normally do. I'll go into some details about their current situation and my concerns now. These two plants reside in western Mississippi where, as it normally is in late August, it is pretty high temperature, meandering between the low 90's and high 80's in terms of degrees Fahrenheit. I set them in what I could best find that would replicate their natural habitat, which is what I've heard described as a "pine savanna". I've placed them in sort of a clearing in a garden which has a huge bush and treeline behind it to the east, which means it gets on and off shade and sun during the morning hours. Around 11AM-Noon the sun is directly over head and the plants have optimal sunlight until around 6-7 PM. If this isn't enough sunlight, or even too much, I will find a better place ASAP. I have fed them both once this month, two bugs for two traps each, although I'm sure they've been catching food naturally as well. One of the traps I bought had flowered and as I had heard this stresses the plant I cut the stalk off (the store had let the stalk grow to about 6-7 inches), as a result, I'm sure, this plant is the smallest of the two. The traps I have seen grown are about 1/2 an inch big, so once they mature and get healthier I'm sure this will improve to bigger traps. I do plan on making them dormant once the season rolls around, I would like some information on how to do this.

Below I have provided a picture of each plant, if you see any abnormalities or signs of poor health please do not neglect to let me know and I will see that it is solved
To clarify, both of these pictures were taken somewhat early in the morning, 8:30AM to be precise so just know that this area that seems shady right now actually receives pretty direct sunlight later in the day.

https://imgur.com/gallery/J0rZTOK

The picture on top is the one that had the flower
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!