FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By timetoinvestigate

Anything look wrong here. Ive had this thing for about a month or two and it has recently started to look less and less healthy. It's got water everyday, and a window with hours of sun every day.

Recently it's started turning black at the tips and younger leaves are also turning black before they get big.
By optique
looks like it is inside so not to hot, where are you getting the water from?
mine is in peat/perlite in about 4h of direct sun and is in a trey of water.
By timetoinvestigate
optique wrote:looks like it is inside so not to hot, where are you getting the water from?
mine is in peat/perlite in about 4h of direct sun and is in a trey of water.
It's distilled water via tray. This window probably has anywhere from 4 to like 8 hours of sun. It's in pure long sphagnum that came with the plant.
By optique
all your conditions sound great for it, better than mine. anyone else have a idea?
By Rayne
Seems like your a victim of root rot. Lower the water amount. It should come back from the roots. If not I would just get another plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By timetoinvestigate
Rayne wrote:Seems like your a victim of root rot. Lower the water amount. It should come back from the roots. If not I would just get another plant.

So by lower what do you mean? Should I let the tray dry out for a couple of hours before I water it again. Cause I water it everyday.
By Rayne
Lower the water in the tray. Don’t top water sundews just bottom water through the tray they are prime. To root rot sometimes.

Rayne liked this
By optique
Didn't know you could rot sundews =) guess using peat/perlite did not have to learn that lesson. cape dews are very viable, i would guess it can make it.

By CarnivoresUnite
I had a similar situation, and continued to check on it and continue to follow the general rules of CP care. I had the plant approximately a month and same thing happened. I feared it's loss even though I was making sure everything was correct, and..

It popped back and started growing new healthy leaves within the week. No changes. Keep an eye on it if you're following the proper care.
By Rayne
optique wrote:Didn't know you could rot sundews =) guess using peat/perlite did not have to learn that lesson. cape dews are very viable, i would guess it can make it.

drosera regia is most prone to it. If you have it sitting in water and u top water it it’s likely to root rot.

By thefic
While the window location may not seem hot, a window can magnify the intensity of the light. (Depending on the type of window and the amount of filtration).

I have this happening to 3 Alba capes right now. They are under grow lights near a window with the shades drawn. But that window gets afternoon sun and I found that some of the light penetrates the blinds just enough to beam directly on these plants. Since the windows are old they don't provide much filtration. I put cardboard between the blinds and the window and now the capes are bouncing back.

You could do a repot into fresh media as well and check the roots.

If the roots are white then the plant is okay.

I have personally only seen rot with bad media, disgusting water (from dead bugs and leaves and such, and poor drainage.
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!