FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By That one plant boi
Hey y'all! So as the title says, I'm looking for another cobra lily after mine got roasted while I was on vacation. I'm in the USA and on a pretty limited budget. I may not be able to pay at the moment, but I'm just wondering if anybody has anything available. I will let you know when I'm ready to buy.

Thanks!

Sent from my LG-M150 using Tapatalk
By FlyTrap Hunter
I think I just killed mine also. I would get in touch with meizwang on this forum and he will hook you up. I grew out one from seed and now I believe I can keep it alive. I am ready to buy a bigger plant.
And I don't think his plants are expensive for what you get
By mcgrumpers
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:I think I just killed mine also. I would get in touch with meizwang on this forum and he will hook you up. I grew out one from seed and now I believe I can keep it alive. I am ready to buy a bigger plant.
What do you think went wrong? Asking because I recently purchased one (of possible relevance to this thread: cascade carnivores has them)
By FlyTrap Hunter
mcgrumpers wrote:
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:I think I just killed mine also. I would get in touch with meizwang on this forum and he will hook you up. I grew out one from seed and now I believe I can keep it alive. I am ready to buy a bigger plant.
What do you think went wrong? Asking because I recently purchased one (of possible relevance to this thread: cascade carnivores has them)
I let it get too much light and thus heat, and the sun baked it. It started by just burning the top edges and then whole pitchers. The only thing I did different from last year is I left it in the direct sun for a few afternoon hours, but it's the hottest part of the day. And it's hotter in direct sunlight than in the shade. It's ok. It was a experiment to see if I can keep a DC alive in NC, and I found out I can. I grew it for a year and a half and now I believe I can make a investment and buy one from Mike Wang. You can't go wrong with this guy and he has location specifics for most everything he sells. I have never bought from him but I have not had the confidence to grow DCs or Sarracenia until now. I have seen what others have purchased from him and it is always a value.
By mcgrumpers
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:
mcgrumpers wrote:
I let it get too much light and thus heat, and the sun baked it. It started by just burning the top edges and then whole pitchers. The only thing I did different from last year is I left it in the direct sun for a few afternoon hours, but it's the hottest part of the day. And it's hotter in direct sunlight than in the shade. It's ok. It was a experiment to see if I can keep a DC alive in NC, and I found out I can. I grew it for a year and a half and now I believe I can make a investment and buy one from Mike Wang. You can't go wrong with this guy and he has location specifics for most everything he sells. I have never bought from him but I have not had the confidence to grow DCs or Sarracenia until now. I have seen what others have purchased from him and it is always a value.
Sounds like an experiment from which you learned a lot! Did it happen in a single hot afternoon or over many days? How hot was it outside?

Mike Wang DCs sound awesome, good info!
By FlyTrap Hunter
The DC grew from seed over the winter of 2017/2018. I kept it in a SW window. When it wasn't freezing anymore I puy it outside and it got morning sunlight until noon and then shade.
It spent the winter 2018/2019 back in the window.
This spring I put it in full sunlight and it did great until the temperature hit 90s
We have a night time temperature drop to 70 most summer nights so I was ok with it.
With temps in the 90s and sunlight for 7-8 hours, the tips starting to burn and turn black. I moved it to 5 hours sunlight and it was still too much. It may have dried out one time also. I don't know. I think the sun weakened the plant, and then it got black spots. The oldest pitchers turn rust colored and it eventually died.
Now I know if I order a DC, I can just keep it in my window all year and it will grow fine.
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!