FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Jin
Hey everybody-

I have a Maxima x Vogelii and when I purchased it, it was sent to me unpotted so that was obviously pretty clear about when to pot a plant but, I’ve recently ordered two more which are being shipped in the plastic grow pots.

I just have a few questions.

How long would you leave them in there after receiving the plant? (I know most times for other non carnivorous plants they say to repot immediately since those aren’t meant for long term use) but I wasn’t sure if that was diff with neps.

If I need to repot soon, what size pots would you recommend? One nep is around 2” leafspan and the other is 5-6” leafspan.

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to posting pics and getting to know everyone :)

Jin
By optique
I just got into nepenthes this year. But i had success waiting till i saw growth(new leaf unrolling) then repotting.
By Fieldofscreams
I'm not a fan of repotting anything unless you have to or the time has come.

New growers seem to be repot happy and will convince themselves they must do it for all kinds of reasons.

My rule of thumb is if the plant is growing fine then leave it alone.
Fieldofscreams liked this
By blueovalgal
Fieldofscreams wrote:I'm not a fan of repotting anything unless you have to or the time has come.

New growers seem to be repot happy and will convince themselves they must do it for all kinds of reasons.

My rule of thumb is if the plant is growing fine then leave it alone.
New grower to carnivorous plants but grow orchids and other plants... depending on how the plant(s) look and feel to me when I first receive them, I will repot when I get them home. Most of the time, it's because whatever mix the plant's planted in won't work as well as what I'm currently using in my home environment. So repotting works for me, but I've also brought home plant(s) and left them alone.
By mouthstofeed
I recently repotted my nepenthes, twice. They really needed it and are doing fantastic. I don't think that nepenthes take repotting as hard as the other plants. Just keep the root ball intact.
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!