Coco peat?

Caramelmarkie

Coco peat?

by Caramelmarkie » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:54 pm

Can coco peat be used in replacement to sphagnum peat? The Philippines does not have any available sphagnum mosses and peat moss. I will be needing some replacement media for my droseras and vfts.. also, if possible, can someone recommend the ratio as well. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oval

Re: Coco peat?

by oval » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:41 pm

It should make a good replacement, but you have to soak/rinse it a few times to get all the salts and other minerals out. Even the brands that say they are "low salt" can have enough salt to harm CPs.

Other than that, it retains water great while having air spaces for roots to "breathe."

Caramelmarkie

by Caramelmarkie » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:25 pm

oval wrote:It should make a good replacement, but you have to soak/rinse it a few times to get all the salts and other minerals out. Even the brands that say they are "low salt" can have enough salt to harm CPs.

Other than that, it retains water great while having air spaces for roots to "breathe."

Thanks! Does the ratio of perlite to coco peat stay the same as with the sphagnum?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twitcher

by twitcher » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:34 am

I used it for plants other than Cp's without much issue for years. However, I did an experiment between organic peat and coco for drosera last year and got much better results using the peat. I had not wanted to believe the coco detractors here because I have used it for years, but I wont us it for my cps after my experiment.

Therefore I suggest you be very thorough with the rinsing and soaking of the coco before using it. Just to be extra safe.
The larger the island of knowledge, the longer the shoreline of wonder.

Wanted:
. Pinguicula
. Drosera
. Utricularia

Return to Tools, Equipment and Supplies