FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By Caramelmarkie
Can coco peat be used in replacement to sphagnum peat? The Philippines does not have any available sphagnum mosses and peat moss. I will be needing some replacement media for my droseras and vfts.. also, if possible, can someone recommend the ratio as well. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By oval
It should make a good replacement, but you have to soak/rinse it a few times to get all the salts and other minerals out. Even the brands that say they are "low salt" can have enough salt to harm CPs.

Other than that, it retains water great while having air spaces for roots to "breathe."
By Caramelmarkie
oval wrote:It should make a good replacement, but you have to soak/rinse it a few times to get all the salts and other minerals out. Even the brands that say they are "low salt" can have enough salt to harm CPs.

Other than that, it retains water great while having air spaces for roots to "breathe."
Thanks! Does the ratio of perlite to coco peat stay the same as with the sphagnum?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By twitcher
I used it for plants other than Cp's without much issue for years. However, I did an experiment between organic peat and coco for drosera last year and got much better results using the peat. I had not wanted to believe the coco detractors here because I have used it for years, but I wont us it for my cps after my experiment.

Therefore I suggest you be very thorough with the rinsing and soaking of the coco before using it. Just to be extra safe.
Transaction with Secretariat73

What the heck did the USPS do to that box??? :shoc[…]

They're all tropical or subtropical, mostly differ[…]

I have not sold any of the 1st 3 plants listed. Th[…]

Fantastic!!! Glad you were successful *and* glad […]

Are you a fellow Michigander? I’m in Roches[…]

1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!