FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By optique
I can only guess it is Nepenthes Ventrata. got lucky it was just in still on cart from vendor. anyone know if i can keep one outside in a South Carolina summer?

7in pitchers :o
By thefic
If you have a somewhat shaded area to hang it from I would say yes leave it outside. The problem in the south is the blistering sun. Leaves burning and drying out have caused me headaches in the past. I had to move mine inside to a sunny bay window because they were getting cooked in the greenhouse even with shade cloth and the doors open. The last heatwave was just too much.

The garden center plants are not used to "normal" growth conditions and have to be acclimated.
thefic liked this
By thefic
That looks like a perfect spot!

Mine don't like direct sun, just a place for nice all day light.

Should be perfect for that plant. And will trap a ton of bugs.
thefic liked this
By optique
found this pic, it is not mine. seems coffee is not the only caffeine beverage they like?
Last edited by optique on Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By optique
was going to re pot it to day and it seems to be potted in something very dark like peat but feels hard like soft cork. and it root bound. should i break the roots or just leave it in unknown potting mix? what ever it is the plant has been in it for some time.
By optique
I didn't take a pic why i had it out. had my hands full, but the roots looked to be covering the whole media shaped like the pot, tiny black roots holding media together. took me some time to get the plants rearranged after putting it back in the pot, doing it a 2nd time just for a pic is not going to happen. I did pour water on the media out of the pot and it did not want to break apart at all. counted 5 stalks 3 were small 2 long. I cant see breaking the media apart with out major root damage. =(
By optique
Just a update on this thing never did repot. I want to because I have to water it like everyday unlike my plants in LFSM. It has like 8 new growth points now. leaves are snaking out of it everywhere.
Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

S. flava or a hybrid

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

Is the pot draining? What water are you using? Wha[…]

What on earth is this?

Looks a lot like springtails to me. Other possibil[…]

What’s happening

Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a sid[…]

All three of those are available in the seed bank[…]

Email them (or call them) and ask if it's pure per[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!